Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Uit Nederland
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I have a pair of Alexrims X2100s. They work great. The other day I was out biking, and I was slipping with the rear tire a lot, so I decided when I got back to go get a new rear tread (got the Panaracer Fire XC Pro). When I was riding I got big branches stuck in the rim several times (never happend before). Later on I got that tire put on, and when I was finally done, I spun the wheel to re-adjust the rotor and caliper on my BB7's (thank god for CPS). But now when my rim spins the whole thing wobles (maybe half an inch in each direction). It's not the tire thats spinning because it is on straight and level, it's the rim. I located two spokes that are wobbely, and don't sit snug. I have looked up on how to fix it, and I need a bunch of tools, and there are words I dont really understand such as True, Taco, and some other ones.
If need be, I can post a video of my rim spinning. Otherwise if it is irreparable I am looking at getting some WTB Dual Duties FR.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Rim's not true

It sounds like your rim isn't true. That means some spokes are tighter or looser than the rest. Then the rim isn't perfectly straight, making your wheel wobble. The branches probably bent some spokes, so you'll need to straighten them out by bending them.

Get a spoke wrench from any shop and tighten the spokes that will pull the warped part of the rim in the direction that straightens it. It's a pretty simple procedure, and the bike shop should be able to show you how to use the spoke wrench if you have any questions.

By the way, Taco means the wheel is folded over like a taco shell. I don't think your problem is this severe. As long as the nipples (the tiny bolt-like things that attach the spokes to the rim) aren't damaged, you should be fine.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
If you're serious about your bikes, buying the spoke wrench and learning how to use it will be a much better investment than a single visit to your shop (especially a Performance shop)....visit the sheldonbrown.com and parktool.com sites and review the wheel building/truing info, you be much bettah off. Why did you think you needed to change your brake alignment setup, if your rim/spokes got tweaked? The rotor is attached to the hub, so it wouldn't be affected by spoke/rim problems; however the rotor can come out of true just like the rim (just not for the same reasons). Learning to true your disc rotor is a good thing as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
absolutely correct

You should at least attempt to fix this one yourself I think. A spoke wrench is really cheap and easy to use. Plus, it's a skill that will surely come in handy out on the trail one day... it may even keep you from walking your bike out. I ride with a spoke wrench and I've used it many times out in the middle of nowhere.

Even if you don't know what you're doing, I think it's worth it to learn such a basic repair skill. I have no doubt that you can handle it.

·
Uit Nederland
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You guys are right, but I was just thinking, "when am I ever going to need to use this again?''
Why pay for the wrench when they can fix it for free?"
But yeah I will go buy a wrench tomorrow and then ask you guys how to use it.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
When people say "wrench" it's not a big as hell wrench, it's a tiny little thing that costs under $10.

fujirider1 said:
You guys are right, but I was just thinking, "when am I ever going to need to use this again?''
Why pay for the wrench when they can fix it for free?"
But yeah I will go buy a wrench tomorrow and then ask you guys how to use it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Bring your tire

There are different sizes of spoke wrenches. Bring your wheel into the shop with you and they should be able to make sure you get the correct one. They can also make sure you know how to use it.

And if you have any other questions, just let me know and I'll be glad to help out.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
mfreyhol said:
There are different sizes of spoke wrenches. Bring your wheel into the shop with you and they should be able to make sure you get the correct one. They can also make sure you know how to use it.

And if you have any other questions, just let me know and I'll be glad to help out.
Bring the wheel. I have never seen a tire with spokes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.