Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a trail bike that is lighter weight but more durable also. I want something below 5,000 dollars. I am about 6'2". There are a lot out there and i am not sure which one or whether to go with a 26er or 29er. i ride trails fast and hard. What should i get?:cornut:

·
Just Joshin' ya!
1,980 Posts
Dude, are you serious? There is obviously only one option! I am sure everyone will give you a different one option given your budget but nonetheless, I am sure you will get some input here.

My vote would be for the Pivot Mach 5 if you want something more with a racer feel but still able to handle some pretty technical stuff or a Pivot Firebird if you want something that is going to still get up the mountain but will be able to rail anything technical and do some downhill nastiness.

·
Registered
999 Posts
BIGHORN LEW said:
I am looking for a trail bike that is lighter weight but more durable also. I want something below 5,000 dollars. I am about 6'2". There are a lot out there and i am not sure which one or whether to go with a 26er or 29er. i ride trails fast and hard. What should i get?:cornut:
Pivot Mach 5

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the pivot mach 5 was one i was focussing on, but what about the mach 429? what else is out there? i roll hawes, mcdowell mountain park, and DC mostly. so many bikes, and so many promises :confused:

·
sprocket
3,184 Posts
BIGHORN LEW said:
the pivot mach 5 was one i was focussing on, but what about the mach 429? what else is out there? i roll hawes, mcdowell mountain park, and DC mostly. so many bikes, and so many promises :confused:
just get a bike. Do you need to spend 5 grand on one? No. Spend 300 bucks and go as fast as you want.

·
It's a slugfest!
742 Posts
It will be a sad day when I don't pass the "QUASI" out on Hawes anymore..... But good luck with your search. Firebird or EG are great choices....

·
I love bike!
1,154 Posts
If ur up for something used I think a Turner pre-DW Sultan would be a nice match 4 u. My buddy noosa2 just sold his which would have been a great ride and I think ur size 2, bummer. He really liked his but had to trim the fleet. U can get them at good prices now that the DW link frames have taken over.

Since you've got the budget tho you may even want to check out the Turner DW selections as well. I think a Sultan or Spot would be killer :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
What kind of trails?

There is a huge amount of options in both wheel sizes.

Do you ride technical terrain, fast flowing trails, jumps or hucks? Do you like firm travel, or plush travel.

Specify what you want the bike to do, and where you want the strengths biased and you will get more petinent info.

·
My other ride is your mom
5,442 Posts
Bighorn....I think you know what I will recommend based on my ride and my understanding of what you like to ride and what you are used to. The question is if you really want to go with a 29er or not.....

·
Registered
630 Posts
The Mach 5 is sweet, but for a 29er comparison, try to get out and ride a Niner RIP 9. - Faster than you would think, and will be able to handle anything on the trails you mentioned. Comparable to the Mach 5 in design intent, obviously not technology, but would be a good comparison if looking towards a 29" option. The CVA technology is what makes this bike comfortable for long rides, and the new tapered square tubing added tons of rigidity to the frame. But don't let the added weight of the new frame design fool you, I own a 2008 model, and the first thing I noticed was that I couldn't even tell the added weight on the 2009 that I demo'd. I believe these are in the mid $3,000 range complete right now, and Slippery Pig has a few available.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Bighorn Lew, you're 6 foot 2? Just kidding bro. You know I'm a specialized guy, and the 2010 Stumpjumper or Enduro look nice. Also, rent the bikes and try them out before you shell out $$. Think about warrenties, etc, too. My two cents. Happy trails.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
oops. Dino caught me. Ok good people. i thank you for all the good word, but i guess i should fess up. the bike is actually for my son who had his 27 pound cannondale jekyll swiped from our garage a coupl-a weeks ago. he hasn't registered on here yet, and so he actually posted this with my id. sorry bout that, but yeah, he needs advice because of all the good bikes that are out there. he wants to get it dialed with more than just dads input. :D it's a good learning process. he wants a good peddler with 4-5.5ish travel, and good quality. under 30 lbs. won't be rolling any super gnarbles. wants to race occaisionally. 21 years old.

·
Just Joshin' ya!
1,980 Posts
BIGHORN LEW said:
wants to race occaisionally.
Pivot Mach 5 sounds better and better. The Niner is a good option though, but is anyone worried about their quality after that recall?

·
Registered
356 Posts
I just got a roscoe 2 at rage for 2500ish and have really liked that bike as a trail bike so far. I really don't have a ton to compare it to, but its the fastest bike I have ever ridden.

·
Registered
630 Posts
NMPhi767 said:
Pivot Mach 5 sounds better and better. The Niner is a good option though, but is anyone worried about their quality after that recall?
They recalled the Jet, which was a race oriented bike and outside the OP search category. The RIP 9 was only improved upon because the design team had come up with new technology (square taper tubing, etc.) when designing the WFO, and they decided that they could make a great bike even better using the same concepts. They added a pound, but at the same time increased lateral stiffness and reduced flex. As a part of the recall, they offered a smoking deal to customers on RIP frames as an option, and many seem to be content with that solution. To answer your question, I am not worried about quality with the RIP or WFO, I was worried that the JET would not support my needs, and it appears that I made the right choice.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I would check out Mongoose bikes I stumbled on one for real cheap. The 2009 Teocali Super I got is a good all around bike. They have DH/FR bikes to. The mongoose freedrive lets you decend faster and get back to the to faster. Youtube has videos on how it works.

First video is the Teocali; Second is About FreeDrive; Third is the Khyber AM Bike;

1 - 20 of 30 Posts