Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals,
so I sold the stock Rhythm 130mm fork off of my 2018 trek fuel ex8 and put on a Rockshox Pike RCT3 140mm.
However, I forgot to get the crown race off of the rhythm and I cannot find any information on which crown race I need.
I believe I need one that is 1.5 to 1 1/8 converter.
The local bike shop said they can order one but it would take 2 weeks to come in and I’d rather order online and pay to get it here faster. They gave me a part number for FSA of 543254 but that also yields little results online.
Treks website says it’s an FSA headset but doesn’t list the model. I have found an FSA orbit X headset online that looks the part but I’m not 100%
any help is greatly appreciated

·
damned rocks...
2,550 Posts
You should match the brand of the crown race to the brand of the bearing, different brands have different degrees on the bevel of the bearing/crown race interface.
If I'm not mistaken FSA is 36°, Hope is 45° Canecreek is 45°.

·
Registered
9,739 Posts
You don't need a 1.5 to 1.125 converter. You need a 1.5 crown race. I believe the part number the shop gave you is a Trek part number for a 1.5 to 1.125 adapter which is not what you need. I'm pretty sure any FSA 1.5" crown race would work. I'm somewhat surprised the shop doesn't have something lying around that would work.

Any Trek dealer should be able to get you sorted very quickly. Also, you might ask in the mtbr Trek forum. There's an official Trek rep who hangs out there.

https://forums.mtbr.com/trek/

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you positive?
My understanding was that since the head tube was 1.5 and the steerer tube is 1 1/8 that id need a crown race that converts.
I guess there is no harm in buying both to cover my bases.

Unfortunately my local bike shops aren’t too great. Used to have some stellar mechanics but they’ve gone onto better things.

·
Registered
9,739 Posts
Yes. The Pike steerer is tapered, 1.125 at the top and 1.5" at the bottom. If you have it, look at it and measure it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You don’t need a converted race just 1 1/2, but as stated one that will match up with the bearing. You can always order a new bearing and race and then you will be all set. Go on the Trek’s website and do a live chat, they will tell you exactly what in on your bike (I have the same bike...FSA headset)

·
Turns right, slides left
658 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts