Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Need help finding a bashguard for my Pitch...

3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Lambdamaster 
#1 ·
I never changed the front sprockets or anything on a mountain bike before so I don't know how to figure out which bash guards or anything fit on what. How do I figure out what size bash guard I need to buy for my bike? I have a '08 Pitch Comp.

Thanks,
Dan

#3 ·
Thanks a lot. I think I want to get a metal one because I don't want to chip/crack mine a lot and have to replace it. I'm going to try to convince my dad to make me one out of titanium seeing how he works at a machine shop.

#5 ·
danwrzesinski said:
How do I figure out what size bash guard I need to buy for my bike?
You need one designed for four holes, and for a 104mm bolt circle diameter (BCD). As it happens, that is the most common arrangement going today.

Also pay attention to diameter. Is your middle ring 32 teeth? Bashguards come sized for 32 teeth, some for 34 teeth, some for 36 teeth, etc. You want one sized for 32 teeth or hiigher. I like to keep my guards as small as possible, so I'd buy a 32-tooth guard. Some people size up a bit. There is nothing wrong with putting a guard sized for 36 teeth on a bike with only a 32-tooth ring. My wife's bike has a 36-tooth guard covering a 32-tooth ring.

Most bashguards replace your outer ring. Often, you can take the ring off and put the guard on without having to remove the cranks. Sometimes you can even get away without having to remove the pedals.

#6 ·
danwrzesinski said:
Thanks a lot. I think I want to get a metal one because I don't want to chip/crack mine a lot and have to replace it. I'm going to try to convince my dad to make me one out of titanium seeing how he works at a machine shop.
I think you might actually be happier with a poly bashguard, i hav a truvativ metal one on my XC bike , it has gouges, paint missing, and just looks like poop all around now, but it still works fine.

But on my DH bike i have a poly bash, its been smashed off of so much stuff at much higher speed and many more rocks, it still looks good, plus the poly tens more to slide over obstacles rather than grab like the metal does at times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.