Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I took my bike in to The Path Bike Shop about a week or two ago for some work. I had them do a general tune up, redo all the housing and wires, and also do a fork rebuild with seal replacement for my Rock Shox Tora 318.

We'll I just went to go pick up my bike right now and as I took her for a spin around the parking lot I realized that they had just ****ed up my fork. The lock out no longer works at all with the knob seeming like some one had busted it, and the fork is also leaking oil.

I took the bike back in there and told them, I just sent $200 dollars on repairs, and paid for a fork rebuild and now my fork is leaking oil and the lockout is broken, both problems I didn't used to have. :madman: :madman: :madman:

The person who was working there told me that it is not their problem and that the lockout and fork leaking oil are not something that they would of caused while doing a fork rebuild. He told me that he was going to call Rock Shox and see if they can do a manufacture warranty.

What should I do? This seems absolutely absurd to me, they straight up BROKE my fork aren't they required to get me a new one? :eekster:

·
bonked
2,129 Posts
No, but they should fix it for you since it appears they possibly caused the new set of problems. That said, if they can get Rockshox to replace it under warranty, which may or may not happen depending on how worn you fork is, I would certainly be willing to entertain that option.

From where is it leaking oil?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's leaking oil from the top right of the fork, right where the busted lock out knob is, that's where the oil is coming out of.

·
bonked
2,129 Posts
Talk to the service manager or store manager, in a civil manner if possible, and explain the situation. See if that gets you anywhere. It seems to me they pinched a seal when they reassembled your fork and its causing the leak. I don't know how they could have damaged the lockout. The damper is a non-serviceable unit. I know the rebound damper on some forks can be damaged if it isn't fully closed when reassembled, but I don't think that is the case with the compression damper/lockout.

·
Single Speed Junkie
3,116 Posts
Sounds like a bad situation regardless how you slice it. LBS is looking at a pissed off customer who is not likely to return and your bike is now jacked. Best option is to do all your own work. At this point it is effectively a lose - lose, but doe not have to be. Sounds like you will need to deal with the shop rather delicately as they are already on the defensive.

I would approach it more in the form of a question rather than direct accusation, even if they did break the fork. Ask why the lockout is no longer working and leaking. What changed between when you dropped it off and now. Can we contact RS and ask for some troubleshooting pointers. (Note this even works if your calling for yourself.) Best path forward at this point is to remain calm and ask questions. You very well might know the answers of the questions already, but you need the shop to come around over on your side before they will start working with you at this point.

·
The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
3,795 Posts
Talk to the owner. Was their something wrong with your fork which prompted you to get it serviced? If it was just an oil change then this is something most users can do.....it's not that hard to figure out. If you can't get any resolution with this issue....then take them to small claims court. This is the main reason why I do 95% of my own wrenching......and the 5% I don't do I have three wheel builders I trust.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice guys.

also my lockout and fork were 100% functioning when I brought them in, I hadn't done any maint. work on my fork since I bought the bike about 2 years ago that's why I had it serviced with the rest of my bike.

The guy told me Rock Shox is going to be closed for at least a week or two b/c it's X-mas and new years so I guess I'm out a bike for another couple weeks :(

·
mbtr member
6,499 Posts
5$ says they caught the upper moco seal caught on the threads when they screwed it on. Some oil wept out, and now the first bit of travel is undamped. Go back and ask them that you think they knackered the seal when they put the cart back in, and would they please top up your damper since some leaked out. It's only a 10 minute fix.

It's a really easy mistake to make and you wouldn't notice it until the bike has been hanging upsidedown or ridden.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I am just an expert with Marzocchi, but I know if I open a fork and it is not right when I put it back together, it is my fault.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
doesn't sound like any experience I've ever had with the Path (assuming it's the same one in socal we're referring to). I've heard of people being unhappy with them, but for them to flat out screw you over doesn't sound right at all for them at all. (I know a few places around here where I wouldn't be surprised with that kind of service though).

seriously, just go talk to them about it again and explain what happened civilly, and they will probably take care of it for you. Ask for Tani if you're really having a problem

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
The shop should not have been named until some kind of conclusion had been arrived at. It would have been easy enough to seek advice without naming names.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
SteveUK said:
The shop should not have been named until some kind of conclusion had been arrived at. It would have beed easy enough to seek advice without naming names.
Agreed - give that post an edit

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
To the OP, first up did you cycle the fork a few times to see if the MC control started to work or did you just hop on and notice it and not cycle it. Seriously, go to the RS site and download the service manual in PDF format and follow the instructuctions step by step and you'll realise just how easy they are to service.

Don't see why the PATH bike shop shouldn't have been named if he told them the fork wasn't working and they gave him that BS. Any bike mech worth their salt woud know that it was the shops fault and as said either a seal was caught, or the seals weren't lubed properly/and or weren't replaced - which they shoud have been if the fork is 2 years old. Fork should have had a complete rebuild with all seals changed along with the oil.

SteveUK said:
The shop should not have been named until some kind of conclusion had been arrived at. It would have been easy enough to seek advice without naming names.

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
"Don't see why the bike shop shouldn't have been named..."

Because the saga isn't over. Nobody knows what transpired to cause damage to the fork, perhaps not even the shop owner, and certainly not the OP. It simply isn't fair or reasonable to be slinging sh*t when not all of the facts are known and everyone involved has yet to play their part. You may think that it's OK to do so; I do not.

·
Registered
101 Posts
SteveUK said:
"Don't see why the bike shop shouldn't have been named..."

Because the saga isn't over. Nobody knows what transpired to cause damage to the fork, perhaps not even the shop owner, and certainly not the OP. It simply isn't fair or reasonable to be slinging sh*t when not all of the facts are known and everyone involved has yet to play their part. You may think that it's OK to do so; I do not.
Right on--It looks as though the shop was named as a way to get back at them. Save it for the BBB if the issue is not resolved.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
The person who was working there told me that it is not their problem and that the lockout and fork leaking oil are not something that they would of caused while doing a fork rebuild. He told me that he was going to call Rock Shox and see if they can do a manufacture warranty.

Well, if you're going to have dumb employees saying stuff like this to a customer, you reap what you sow...and I'm not getting the impression the OP is making it up or exaggerating here...market forces apply! Wouldn't be my personal approach but it's too late now...

·
Registered
143 Posts
I don't think naming the shop is a problem

SteveUK said:
especially the Path, a lot of supporters for them here, even if the do burp or fart once in a while, I'm sure their CSI is still higher than almost any other shop out there.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Exactly

100% have to say BF said what I was thinking, nbow if management does right by the OP and admits they have a jackass for an employee well then I think he should appologise and let everyone know they're a stand up shop, if not, piss on them.

Bikinfoolferlife said:

Well, if you're going to have dumb employees saying stuff like this to a customer, you reap what you sow...and I'm not getting the impression the OP is making it up or exaggerating here...market forces apply! Wouldn't be my personal approach but it's too late now...

·
Registered
248 Posts
LyNx said:
To the OP, first up did you cycle the fork a few times to see if the MC control started to work or did you just hop on and notice it and not cycle it. Seriously, go to the RS site and download the service manual in PDF format and follow the instructuctions step by step and you'll realise just how easy they are to service.

Don't see why the PATH bike shop shouldn't have been named if he told them the fork wasn't working and they gave him that BS. Any bike mech worth their salt woud know that it was the shops fault and as said either a seal was caught, or the seals weren't lubed properly/and or weren't replaced - which they shoud have been if the fork is 2 years old. Fork should have had a complete rebuild with all seals changed along with the oil.
I think it is fine to name names. I am glad to know when we have an issue at the shop. I also think that the situation could be more involved than you seem to think.

I have a lot of experience with forks, and I would not jump to any conclusion about how the lever broke or the fork became leaky. I will always give my customers the benefit of the doubt if I don't have facts, but it is not unusual for a bike shop to get screwed into paying for the repair on a worn or broken part because the customer insists that it was fine before it came in the shop.

My point is that anyone who has worked on forks, and deals with the public would know that it may or may not be the shops fualt.

To the original poster, please feel free to contact me at the shop. My name is Tani, and I would like to help you work this out. Is the lever itself cracked or broken, or is it broken in the sense that the lockout doesn't work? Is there any visible damage to the fork? Also, I would like to know your name, and with whom you were dealing at my shop. Maybe you could send me a pm?

Thanks

·
Registered
248 Posts
Bikinfoolferlife said:

It sounds like the fork may be leaking through the Motion Controle cartridge. This is a common thing. If it is leaking out of the Motion Controle, this is typically not caused by the shop, as the Motion Controle is not dissasembled at the shop. We simply unthread the cartridge, then thread it back in during reassembly.

The Path wants to help. Even if it turns out this employee is wrong, I doupt it is because he is ignorant, or BSing, or a dumbass.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts