Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I do a lot of steep climbing and of course coming back down is a blast too but primarily I need a great climber and something that will cover a lot of ground coming downhill on dry, rocky terrain.

I have two bikes that I'm going to test out on Monday. Which do you think is the better bike? Both are selling for $1300

2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er
Stump.jpg
2010 Rocky Mountain Altitude 30
RockyMountain.jpg

Both are stock and in great shape. They are also both owned by a trustworthy local bike mechanic.

Appreciate the feedback.

Thanks!

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Neither really has going up as job #1. It makes less of a difference than the ad copy would have you think, but it sounds like you're looking for a XC bike. Fat tires will take care of the terrain. It's not common, but a few XC models are really narrow between the chainstays and won't fit fatter tires. So be aware of that.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I currently ride a 2010 Rocky Mountain Altitude 70 and its a great climbing bike for a full suspension frame due to its steep 76 degree seat tube. With a 140mm of travel, it descends very well. If you're a normal to short limbed rider, then I'd definitely go with the Rocky Mountain.

If you're looking for a bike that does well in both categories, then you may think of getting a 120mm XC bike. I borrowed my friends Felt Virtue with 120mm onto a very technical trail and it did extremely well and almost as well as my Rocky Mountain on the descent and much better on the climb back up.

·
I'd rather be on my bike
2,749 Posts
I had a similar '10 Stumpjumper FSR Comp, and I loved that bike. The only issues I had climbing with it were my legs and lungs.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input guys! Im so torn on this one. Do you think the pricing is fair on these? It seems reasonable but I'm such a noob I really cant tell.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have no idea on pricing, but they both look similarly decent, so go with the one that fits you better. Specs don't mean crap if you can't comfortably ride the bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts