Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the market for my first full suspension bike. currently riding a HT and ready to move on to something that can handle what I am throwing at it. My budget is 2000.00 so I have narrowed it down to the 2011 Pitch pro and or possibly the 2011 Reign 2. They both look nice but I know looks aren't everything. Been leaning a little more towards the pitch because I have read some issues on the 2010 Reign's of broken linkages. Any sugestions or insight on either of these bikes would be helpful. Thanks !!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Giant has a better warranty and a better parts spec. I've been riding my 2005 Trance now for 5 years with no issues at all. Those issues you read about were probably from riders using the reign for freeriding and not all mountain as the reign is intended for.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah the issues I read were supposedly from people that were just all mountain riders? I know i'm no pro, but I am going to throw out as much as I can at this bike, will be using it for climbing but when it's time to descend I want something that can handle it without having to worry about parts breaking.

·
Registered
598 Posts
afp3 said:
yeah the issues I read were supposedly from people that were just all mountain riders? I know i'm no pro, but I am going to throw out as much as I can at this bike, will be using it for climbing but when it's time to descend I want something that can handle it without having to worry about parts breaking.
They are different models. The Reign "X" is the one with the problems.

The Reign 2 is not an "X", so there's no problem.

Other than that, I have an 06 Reign 2 frame (when they were burly like the X). Guess which one I would recommend?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks a lot guys for all of the replies. I seriously was on my way to a pitch. Now reading these, plus doing a little more research I think i will seriously start looking at the Reign.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Absolutely go with the Giant, they are awesome bikes and the suspension designs is one of the fastest out there. Also the Reign will be a much better climber than the pitch.

·
Ride and Smile
736 Posts
slcrockymountainrider said:
The Maestro suspension design runs circles around that outdated, over-litigated 'FSR' design of the Pitch.
The 2011 Maestro along with the shock tune Giant is spec'ing their '11 bikes with feels about as close to a more expensive and boutique DW-Link bike.

And that's all you need to know.

Riden the 2010 Reign X and 2011 Enduro and find the Maestro less interesting than the outdated over litigated Horst. I remain unimpressed by the Giant. Had a top end build and it felt clunky from day one. Big fan of the Enduro. Builds as light as the Reign and has better geometry (for me) and a completely superior ride in every category except climbing. (compared to Reign X-not Reign)

·
Registered
599 Posts
Wow, I am always impressed by the conviction of the opinions around suspension design. Both are great bikes with good suspension designs. Demo both bikes, a parking lot ride will not give you the true feel of the suspension or the geometry. I personally own a DW link Pivot that I love, but was very tempted to buy a Reign to save some cash on the purchase. Giant makes a great bike, but so does Specialized. I have owned FSR bikes in the past, it is a great design the only draw back to the FSR is the squat that occurs while climbing. In my experience it lowers the BB and causes more pedal strikes compared to a multi-link bike with a comparable BB height. In the end you have to find a bike that feels best for you, either bike will most likely be the best bike you have ever owned.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks again guys. I appreciate all of the feed back. I know the ultimate decision comes down to me. I am trying to hit the Specialized demo ride in San Diego next week. would like to also demo the reign as well. It looks like both bikes are good if not great bikes. Just trying to pick some honest brains to get some good feedback. Honestly, I know it's not a perfect bike world but I just want to find a good FS bike that I can trust and ride the heck out of and be happy at the end of the day with the choice I made. One thing I noticed is the Reign seems to have more pivot points, worries me about it flexing more than the pitch? Seems like it would have more of a woblly feel in the back.

·
Registered
599 Posts
afp3 said:
One thing I noticed is the Reign seems to have more pivot points, worries me about it flexing more than the pitch? Seems like it would have more of a woblly feel in the back.
Demo the bikes, I don't think that you have to worry about flexing, both the bike are pretty stiff. They effectively have the same number of pivots, the Reigns are just closer together.

·
May contain nuts
2,433 Posts
afp3 said:
Thanks again guys. I appreciate all of the feed back. I know the ultimate decision comes down to me. I am trying to hit the Specialized demo ride in San Diego next week. would like to also demo the reign as well. It looks like both bikes are good if not great bikes. Just trying to pick some honest brains to get some good feedback. Honestly, I know it's not a perfect bike world but I just want to find a good FS bike that I can trust and ride the heck out of and be happy at the end of the day with the choice I made. One thing I noticed is the Reign seems to have more pivot points, worries me about it flexing more than the pitch? Seems like it would have more of a woblly feel in the back.
Other way around. The Maestro has a solid rear triangle. FSR has pivots at the ends of each stay....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.