Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.
Need some help deciding which bike is better.:confused::madman:
I have the option of purchasing either for the same price so $$ is irrelevant. All that matters is which is better.
Gonna use it for trail, singletrack and some light downhill
They both seem to fit well and are comfortable.

Bike #1:
2013 Trek Cobia
Trek Bicycle

OR:

Bike #2:
2014 Kona Blast
KONA BIKES | 2014 BIKES | TRAIL 27.5" HT | BLAST

Thanks in advance for all the help!

·
Registered
501 Posts
You will get as many different opinions on this as there are people who reply to this thread. Someone's gotta be first, here's my 2 cents:

Go with the Trek. Trek is a larger brand with more buying power. At any given price point you are more likely to get better parts with the Trek. This is evidenced by the better front and rear derailleurs on the Trek.

Having said that, I kind of like to root for the underdog, and I'm 27.5 curious, both points in favor of the Kona.

Logic says Trek; heart says Kona by a whisker.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would go with the kona because it has a better RD i believe. Although i do have a bias towards 29er over 27.5 because I feel it rides better on single track. Overall i would have to go kona though. Good luck!

·
29ers Forever
2021 Rocky Mountain Altitude A70
3,604 Posts
Trek Cobia is my recommendation. I own one, and although the stock componentry is not that good, it is a really nice frame to keep and upgrade. Not to mention it has G2 geo (best 29er geo out there), and 29" wheels.

I just put a 2014 RockShox Sid RCT3 on mine.

·
Crash Dummy In Training
1,432 Posts
Hey everyone.
I have the option of purchasing either for the same price so $$ is irrelevant. All that matters is which is better.

Bike #1:
2013 Trek Cobia
Trek Bicycle

OR:

Bike #2:
2014 Kona Blast

Have you test rode them ?
If so go with what you feel more comfortable on.
The one thing I will say is Trek has their Red Shield Warranty which IMHO is the best in the industry.
Another bike in this price range which has better components is The Airborne Goblin instead of a 69* head tube angle it has a 71* head tube angle.
But it has a much better fork the rock Shox Reba.
Airborne Bicycles. Goblin
The one problem is getting to test ride one.
Post in your local area forum and see if anybody local has one that they would be willing to let you test ride at a local trail.
Good luck and keep asking questions if your not sure.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Hey everyone.

Bike #1:
2013 Trek Cobia
Trek Bicycle

OR:

Bike #2:
2014 Kona Blast

I personally prefer the Cobia but what matters is what you prefer. Have you test rode any of them? Just try both bikes and see which one fits you the best.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Trek is a bike that you either love or hate. Nobody will deny they are quality rigs but either you love the feel or you don't. They have demos. Is there one in the area soon? You can ride one in the wild at a demo. I don't like the feel of them but that is my opinion and there are a lot of folks that do. Trek has a extra warranty you can buy that is incredible! The Trek also has a 10 speed drivetrain.

Kona also makes a quality rig. It has better brakes and tires IMHO. In this price range, I suspect the wheels would be advantage Kona as they aren't as big....so I assume they would be less weight....which is a big deal.

Either of these bikes is a great rig and will serve you well. I guess the deciding factor for me is how tall are you? I think that 29er wheels are best served on a large 21" bicycle as it helps kinda stretch out the geometry back to where it needs to be. If you are looking at the 19 inch, buy what color you like, and anything smaller would probably be better served with the 27.5 wheels. But that is the great wheel debate these days...what is better? All opinion.

The good news is that you will have a terrific time and be well served on which ever you choose.

·
ready to ride
860 Posts
Both have some pros and cons. I'm not a fan of the avid 1 brakes. Actually hate them. I had some that came stock on a tallboy. Nothing but headaches. Maybe SRAM has addressed some of those issues but Im a member of the shimano camp. Also not a fan of SRAM drivetrain. That is simply a personal preference.

That said I would probably go with the Cobia. I used to own one, well still do but the frame is twisted in my basement after a crash. Honestly that isn't the reason why I'd choose it though. G2 is over hyped in my opinion. But it's not a negative unless you want to upgrade your fork with another G2 fork. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing to use a non g2 on it.

Not sure where you ride or what kind of trails you will be hitting but I think in a lot of cases a hardtail really shines in 29 inches. If you were looking at a Full suspension AM or trail bike then 27.5 or even 26 would be a serious contender. Hardtail not so much.

I also question the wheel set on the Kona. Joytech over Shimano? Really? The shimanos aren't anything special nor are the rims but they are built to last. Truth be told to get a good wheel set you are looking above $500 just for that. While they may be good they aren't going to make you a better rider out of the gate.

Also it isn't clear which ford comes on the Cobia. I suspect it's also an XC spring fork. So really equal there unless the Cobia has a better fork.

In the end the choice is yours. They are both pretty equally speced, maybe with a slight favor of the Cobia even through I prefer Shimano. I'd try to ride them, snow or not. Go with your gut and the one that you like.

Then ride the hell out of it and save for bike number two:)

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
it seems like the Trek has better fork and wheels, and those are the main components to be concerned about. Neither bikes has great setup but that's the price point. If the fit were equal I'd go with better components. But if the Kona fit better, felt better I'd go with that and just ride the fork and wheels into the ground over the years.

One thing I am surprised a little is that I thought Kona would easily be the better value, but side to side it aint so. I guess 27.5 frames are hot and everyone jams you on the price.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.