Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys (and gals) - the bottom bracket on my Heckler recently started creaking on a ride, and it's gotten progressively louder and creaks for a longer part of the stroke over the last few rides.

I have a Race Face Deus XC crankset and bottom bracket. If it's creaking, does that just mean it's loose? Can I tighten the BB without pulling the cranks?

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Can anyone help me? If I flip the bike over and apply pressure on the pedals (pulling both up or both down at the same time), I get a small click that I can feel in the pedals. Does this just mean the bottom bracket is loose? The cranks themselves are bolted tight.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Creaking can be narrowed down to a number of causes so you will have to run through them all and see which one it is I am afraid. As you said the cups may be loose so try tightening them plus the arm bolts (assuming it is an external bb) this is best done with an appropriate torque wrench. Also if the bb has not been treated with anti-seize paste so you may need to apply some to the threads. Another reason may be use in overly wet conditions or washing your bike using a high pressure water pump/spray which will get water into just about every orifice of your bike....something to be avoided. If this is the case then re-paste/lube and re-tighten.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great, thanks. I did recently ride in very wet conditions, and had to wash the bike afterward (it was completely soaked in wet mud). I'll pull the cranks and bottom bracket (which is external), and anti-sieze everything.

Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.