Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
jimmy, I won't claim to be an authority on that Kona, but are you sure that's the right shock size spec you're quoting? Generally the smallest off-the-shelf rear shocks for later generation bikes is about 6.5 X 1.5.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TNC said:
jimmy, I won't claim to be an authority on that Kona, but are you sure that's the right shock size spec you're quoting? Generally the smallest off-the-shelf rear shocks for later generation bikes is about 6.5 X 1.5.
I bought this frame online and this is all the information I have on it " With a rear shock, this competition cross country frame will give you 2.5" of rear wheel travel. Shock eye to eye is 5.5" and stroke length is 1". maybe they quoted it wrong idk. I looked at fox and rockshox and noticed they didn't carry the size.:madman:

-jimmy

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Wow...only 2.5" of travel. I don't know...the pic I saw on their site looks a lot like a conventional 6.5" shock, but with only 2.5" of travel, they'd have to have a 6.5" shock limited down quite a bit...I'd guess. The pic I saw had no scale to really tell what length shock was on it, but a 5.5" shock would be tiny. I'm not familiar enough with Kona models to tell you, but hope that isn't a 5.5 shock. Fox would be the only source, though Risse will...or at least used to...occasionally provide really short shocks. Specialized has some unconventional proprietary sized Fox rear shocks, but they're still at least 6.5 or bigger. You have to get some of those proprietary shocks from Fox for Specialized, and if that Kona is a special Kona version, you'll have to get if from Fox. It won't be on any regular listing.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Well there ya go.

joeycmsu said:
You can get a Cane Creek cloud 9 in a 5.5" with 1" stroke off the shelf, and if you send them your old shock you'll get $100 off. 5.5" x 1" is listed as 140/25 on their site.
Man, even as a long time CC air shock user, I totally forgot them. Good source.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.