Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 8.2 that I've been thrashing for a few years now. I couldn’t be happier as the bike has taken a lot of hard riding. It would like to upgrade my rear cage. I am stuck between the SRAM X.0 and XTR.

There are so many to choose from. Which Shimano XTR is the correct one for my bike? they have 6 different ones???

RD-M970-GS RD-M970-SGS
RD-M971-GS RD-M971-SGS
RD-M972-GS RD-M972-SGS

What SRAM X.0 model is the correct one for my bike? They have long, medium and short? I think the long is the correct one??

I will also get matching shifters once I decide.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
On the Shimano rear ders, the GS means short cage and the SGS means medium cage. Unless you are running a bash ring up front with a really small rear cassette (like a road cassette), you don't want a GS. You'll want to go with the SGS medium cage.

M970 is reverse rise (low normal spring)
M971 is regular rise (top normal spring)
M971 is regular rise Shadow (Shimano's new low-profile RD)

If you choose to go with a SRAM rear der, make sure you also get the matching shifters. SRAM uses a 1:1 actuation which makes their RD's incompatible with other manufacturer's shifters.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i'd say sram. but i dont know if you need the xo. from how you described your riding id say save your money for somthing cheaper to replace if needed. i've been running the x7 shifters and rear cage on my extreme for years with no problems. i like shimano's low normal cages but i love sram's thumb only shifting, keeps my fingers ready for the brakes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.