Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am ready to buy a new set of wheels for my bike. I only ride XC, nothing to intense, but I do a little jumping here and there. I also race in the FSC series. I want a set of wheels I can use all the time, not something I have to swap in and out. I also want to order them prebuilt. I have been looking at the American Classic Tubeless XC disc, and the Stan's Podium MMX. I like the Stans because they are lighter and can use a standard type tire tubeless with no slime needed. I weigh 165 lbs. I worry about the durability of the Stan's using them daily. Any other suggestions, and if not, of the two, which to choose?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Why not go for the Stans Alpine built onto AM classic with revos. The rim will accept tubeless and non UST tyres alike, and will be more robust than the podium MMX with only a small weight penalty

·
KevinK
531 Posts
scuuder3 said:
I am ready to buy a new set of wheels for my bike. I only ride XC, nothing to intense, but I do a little jumping here and there. I also race in the FSC series. I want a set of wheels I can use all the time, not something I have to swap in and out. I also want to order them prebuilt. I have been looking at the American Classic Tubeless XC disc, and the Stan's Podium MMX. I like the Stans because they are lighter and can use a standard type tire tubeless with no slime needed. I weigh 165 lbs. I worry about the durability of the Stan's using them daily. Any other suggestions, and if not, of the two, which to choose?

Thanks!
I too was in your situation. I wanted something light, but, something I could use for everyday riding. I considered the AM Tubeless, but decided against it, as Tubeless ready tires need rim tape to create a tight seal and need sealant. Here is a review about these wheels: http://www.gramslightbikes.com/2010/01/american-classic-tubeless-wheelset.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium
Remember, tubeless ready means, needs rim tape, and sealant, UST Standard means No rim tape, and No sealant is required. Sealant can be used for punctures and thorns, but not needed for seals.
Here's some spec's of the wheels I did consider w/ manufacturers claimed weights:

Wheels: Mavic SLR 1" - 2.1" :1520g
F: 690g - 15ta R: 830g - 9.5x135mm
Wheels: American Classic 26" tubeless mtb ?" 235lbs limit :1486g
F: 691 - 15ta R: 795g
Wheels: American Classic 26" Tubeless w/ Sapim CX Ray Spokes :1371g
F: 636g - 15ta R: 735g 190 lbs limit
Wheels: Bontrager Race XXX Lite TLR Disc no lbs limit 50psi max :1406g
F: 638g R: 768g
Wheels: Fulcrum Red Carbon UST standard 1.1" - 2.4" :1470g
F: 645g - 15ta R: 825g
Wheels: Fulcrum Red Metal Zero Disc, UST, 1.1" - 2.4" :1600g
F: 720g - 15ta R: 880g
Wheels: Bontrager Race Lite TLR Disc CL :1524g
F: 704G R: 819g
Wheels: Ritchey Super Logic Carbon disc clincher. 25mm wide TR :1328g
F: 584g - 15ta R: 712g
Wheels: Roval Control SL Disc Wheelset Tubeless ready w/o QR :1385g
F: ???? R:????
Wheels: Easton Haven Disc UST, 1.5" - 2.5" :1650g
F: ???? - 15ta R:?????

In the end, I decided to purchase the DT Swiss XM 1550 Tricon wheels. They are actually coming in on Tuesday! It is coming w/ a rear 135mm x 10mm, and front wheel is 100mm x 15TA. Weight is claimed at 1560, and these are UST standard, meaning, no rim tape, no sealant, only if desired, but not required. These are also rated as AM wheels by DT Swiss, so, stronger than XC wheelsets.

Hope this helps,

Kevin

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
But these day no-one in their right mind would run tubeless without sealant to provide some puncture protection, so the idea that UST is somehow 'better' seems redundant. I've found the yellow tape method as reliable as a UST rim, with barely 5g worth of weight added to a rim like stan's (which has a bead designed for running tubeless even if it doesn't have a sealed spoke bed)

·
KevinK
531 Posts
Hey Alex, I have to say, I've run my Mavic XM 819 disc UST rims on DT Swiss 240S hubs Without sealant for 4 years. Never had a problem. My friends who run tubes, are always flatting, either thorns or pinch flats. I recently started using sealant, just because everybody kept telling me I am going to flat, so I gave in to my fears. I was using WTB Weirwolves UST tires, and Kenda UST Tires. Only time I switched tires was because I wore out the treads.

On my new build, I'm thinking of putting in half the recommended amount of sealant using Slime Pro. Using Continental Race King UST 2.2 tires.

Thanks,

Kevin

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all of the replies, great information.

Which wheelset would be best for using non UST tires with no tape or slime? Is this even possible. I want to run standard non UST 2.10 Kenda Nevegals. I love those tires.

·
Registered
169 Posts
If you want to run true tubeless rims, (rims that don't require rim tape) then you're choices are limited to the following, well these are the ones I can think of anyway.

> New AM Classics, (I think).
> Mavic Crossmax SLs and SLRs.
> Shimano XTs and XTRs.

You can then buy Mavic's aftermarket XM819 rim and lace them to hubs of your choice.

It is possible to run Nevegals without sealent, just, but I wouldn't reccomend it. One wrong move and you'll be pushing home. Rather just throw in a scoop of sealent. Weight is well worth the extra security.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm surprised the term UST hasn't been banned from the WW forum. But, I would say go with the stans, perhaps Alpine built up like Alex suggested or the podiums you mentioned in your original post. I honestly don't see the point in running UST, besides avoiding the little extra work running tubless without UST requires.

If you run UST, the downsides are extra weight in the worst possible place on the bike, less tire options, and in some cases paying more for those tires. A well setup tubeless setup(well setup being the key) will perform better than the ust with few downsides. As for the tape, it works just fine but I personally run rim strips even in stans wheels because I've rolled tires of the rims a few times(even with tubes). If you run less aggressive than that then tape is the way to go. If you rode a bike back to back with the podiums and a typical UST XC setup, you'd definitely notice the difference in weight. Get the stans take the time to learn how to seal them well and be happy.

Also nevegals not the best XC option from a weight or rolling resistance stand point. Not bad for just riding around the mountain though.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I just reread your OP and I think you are a little confused on one point. You still need to use sealant(not slime) on stans rims when running a non UST tire. The point of the sealant initially is to seal up all the small holes in the tire carcass and make it air tight. Also the sealant will seal up the small punctures you encounter riding.

Don't look at sealant as a bad thing, it's made riding with me tolerable for my buddies. I use to go through tubes once a week at least before switching to tubeless and since then I've had 2 flats in two years.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
AlexRandall said:
Why not go for the Stans Alpine built onto AM classic with revos. The rim will accept tubeless and non UST tyres alike, and will be more robust than the podium MMX with only a small weight penalty
What he said, or their generic Stans hubs on Alpine rims for only $440

I love my stans...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.