Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
ICEBERG52
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, here is the dilemma.

I have quite a few questions and need some guidance.

So to start, i am planning to do a 4 day unsupported trip with 4 or 5 friends along the Umpqua River trail.

Just because i like to be comfortable, and so does everyone else i want to bring a trailer to haul all our "luxuries" in. (tent, good food, not ultralight stuff). So now i am faced with a few different options,

A. Do i need a single wheel trailer? and to add to that who makes good single wheels? i know BOB yak, any others? preferrably cheaper..

B. would you reccomend i buy a trailer or build a DIY one, i could build one very similar to a yak for around 60-75 bucks, or get a used yak for like 160-220 bucks.

I dont want to spend that much, but i will i suppose.

So if anyone has some answers to help me, or some good alternatives, or good ideas for me let me know, i need any help i can get.

THANKS!! mac.:madman:

·
Registered
525 Posts
For sure go with the single wheel style for the Umpqua as it has alot of single track and a double trailer would not be much fun to drag around out there. A BOB is rated for like 80 lbs. I believe? The problem with trailers is the way they hook to the bike and the BOB system is arguably the best out there. Their entire design is tight to boot. Why not pick up a used one, use it and sell it after you trip? If you are lucky you might score the Ibex model also which has a little bit of suspension, again nice in the singletrack. Have fun!

·
ICEBERG52
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah i have been trying to find a used one here in portland, OR. I have been searching all craigslist for oregon and washington and none are for sale.

If any one has one for sale shoot me a message!

·
Registered
525 Posts
santacruzsl52 said:
Yeah i have been trying to find a used one here in portland, OR. I have been searching all craigslist for oregon and washington and none are for sale.

If any one has one for sale shoot me a message!
That's funny, I am in OR also and saw one on CL a week or so ago in NE for $150. They are out there, keep looking.

·
ICEBERG52
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, i saw one for 160 on there about 4 days ago but i called and it was sold already. Then i emailed someone else about one and have yet to hear from them 5 days later..

Then i posted an ad saying i wanted to buy one and some one said they would sell me the bob plus drybag and flag and such for $225, so i think im gonna try to talk him down to a little more my price range

But, it seems pretty conclusive that Bob's are the best, so i will go with one of those for sure unless some one has another idea.

·
Registered
525 Posts
There have been imitations, most notably the Yakima version. They licensed the hitch design from BOB but used a 20" wheel I think instead of a 16". They no longer make them but are out there in the used market so perhaps keep an eye out for one of them also? http://www.mtbr.com/cat/accessories/Extras/yakima/big-tow-trailer/PRD_359335_117crx.aspx Some additional info here: http://www.biketrailerblog.com/2007/04/single-wheeled-trailers-the-bob-trailer-imitators/ and here: http://bikeportland.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1510

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.