Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good afternoon everyone,

I'm pricing out parts for a potential build and came across a great deal on a RockShox Recon.

RockShox Recon Silver R Fork 2011 at Price Point

I'm tempted to get it, although my riding style might not require it(light trails, no jumps). At this price, I'm concerned that the build quality may suffer and lead to trouble later on down the road. Should I jump on this deal or get a similarly priced XC fork?

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
The fork construction is solid with cro-mo steel 32mm stanchions, but the R means it has NO compression damper...which kind of sucks. It will likely bottom out quite easily on big impacts without a compression damper. You can get a Motion Control compression damper unit that will fit the Recon Silver for a little over $50 which would make a huge improvement in performance (Tora unit will fit the Recon Silver)

Amazon.com: RockShox Tora Motion Control Damper Crown Lockout: Sports & Outdoors

I would strongly suggest this upgrade

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent reply....I would never have known this by simply looking at specs with my untrained eyes. I clicked the link you provided and came across some Recon Motion Control Dampers as well. Would that be a better fit or does the Tora unit fit well and provide better performance than the Recon damper?

While I'm very interested in this component, it nudges my build over budget and I'd like to spend the money on more crucial parts. Would it be advisable to run the forks without a damper until needed, or can I risk damaging the fork with too many bottom-outs? I weigh over 200 lbs. if that affects anything

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Excellent reply....I would never have known this by simply looking at specs with my untrained eyes. I clicked the link you provided and came across some Recon Motion Control Dampers as well. Would that be a better fit or does the Tora unit fit well and provide better performance than the Recon damper?

While I'm very interested in this component, it nudges my build over budget and I'd like to spend the money on more crucial parts. Would it be advisable to run the forks without a damper until needed, or can I risk damaging the fork with too many bottom-outs? I weigh over 200 lbs. if that affects anything
Well the "Recon" damper is for the alloy stanchioned models (all Recon's had alloy stanchions until 2011). This will a slightly smaller inner diameter than the cro-mo stanchions that are thinner walled. The Recon Silver essentially replaced the earlier Tora models (the Tora was downgraded to steel stanchions and non-serviceable bushings) so the 2006-2009 Damper should fit the current Recon Silver.

At 200# you will easily bottom out the stock spring. You'll need to upgrade the spring from medium (stock) to firm so budget that in as well.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ok, as far springs go, would this be the right model or should I use one for a Tora? Do you suggest with or without the U-turn feature?

Amazon.com: Rockshox Recon U-Turn Spring - Firm: Sports & Outdoors

Also, will the spring and damper swap require the shock to be drained/cleaned and refilled/re-greased?

That brings the price of the fork to over 200, should I start looking at a Recon Silver TK?

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Ok, as far springs go, would this be the right model or should I use one for a Tora? Do you suggest with or without the U-turn feature?

Amazon.com: Rockshox Recon U-Turn Spring - Firm: Sports & Outdoors

Also, will the spring and damper swap require the shock to be drained/cleaned and refilled/re-greased?

That brings the price of the fork to over 200, should I start looking at a Recon Silver TK?
I would look at this model, the Solo Air system is awesome (plus light and durable) and can be adjusted to pretty much any weight. Plus you get a compression damper with a lockout in addition to the rebound damper. All for $210

Rock Shox Recon Silver Suspension Fork -- Performance Exclusive - Mountain Bike Suspension Forks

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh very nice fork! If only it came in black. So just to review, the 2011 Recon Silver R has a coil spring with no compression damper, the current Silver R has Solo Air but no compression damper, and the Performance Bike exclusive Recon Silver has Solo Air and a compression damper. Am I correct? Where in the specs does it list damper?

Sorry for being overly-inquisitive, I just like to get the most bang for my buck.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Recon Silver comes in these models

R=rebound damping only, no compression damper
TK=rebound damping, compression damping (not adjustable), lock-out

Both are available in Coil or Solo Air and both are available with alloy or cro-mo steer tubes

Performance often gets "Special Edition" models that are usually just a different color...such as white in this instance.

Here is a TK with coil in your price range
http://www.amazon.com/RockShox-Recon-Silver-TK-100mm/dp/B005543AA8

Other than that Performance model, I can't find any Recon TK Solo Air models below about $270

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Ok, that explains quite a bit. So in your opinion, the Performance Bike edition is the best buy?
Yes, considering it is $60 less than any other Recon Silver TK Solo Air that I can find. And with the Solo Air you can easily adjust the spring rate (as mentioned before the Coil version will require a new spring for your weight).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool, I'll be ordering that one ASAP. One more question, how is Rock Shox's product support? I ask because I plan on keeping this fork a long time and would hate to not find parts to service it down the road. Would it be advisable to buy a couple of rebuild kits now and use them when needed?

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Cool, I'll be ordering that one ASAP. One more question, how is Rock Shox's product support? I ask because I plan on keeping this fork a long time and would hate to not find parts to service it down the road. Would it be advisable to buy a couple of rebuild kits now and use them when needed?
Not as good as Fox or Marzocchi...better than Manitou. Once they discontinue a product they don't keep parts for long. That said, you can still find plenty of parts for forks 5-6 years old at this time.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don't think you will need the lockout on your fork, Rock Shox are not to bad.. you just need to talk with the good men.. like all the cie..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts