Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I originally posted this in the beginners forum but maybe this is a better spot...

So heres the deal, Im usually a do-it-yourselfer. Ive done 97% of everything on my bike so far (9 speed conversion, installed new forks, brakes, etc) So I recently bought the recon 351 uturn and the spring is way too soft. So I just received the new spring today. I found a how to video online and it looked pretty basic..

However not everythings the same with my new fork. For example.. I remove the uturn dial, then unscrew the cap, then 3 little springs and 3 bearings fly out, Luckily I found them. Also the spring is attached to the lower leg. The spring I bought has the spring and arm attached. So I unscrew the bolt on the bottom of the fork and the springs still stuck. For some reason srams website wont let me download any manuals. The main things I need to know are how to remove the spring and what to do with the springs and bearings. If anyone could give me some guidance that would be awesome!!! Yes Im changing a spring on new years eve..I have to work tomorrow :rolleyes:

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
turn the bike upside down, put the bolt back in the lower about half way, and tap it with a hammer. It's press fit into the lowers. Don't forget to replace the 15wt fork oil in the coil side.

The spring goes in the hole in the top cap, with a ball on top. It provides the detents you feel when you turn the knob.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys :thumbsup: So why is the video so different from this set up? Its the same fork.

96 were you able to save the oil by tilting the fork on its side, like the link says? Or did you drain it and replace it? I have no problem replacing it I just have no way to measure the proper amount and the forks brand new so the oil should still be fine.

Seems easy enough, just looks like I need to buy MORE items oil, funnel, measuring cup and some grease. After all this something tells me the springs going to be too firm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
JTreehorn said:
Thanks Guys :thumbsup: So why is the video so different from this set up? Its the same fork.

96 were you able to save the oil by tilting the fork on its side, like the link says? Or did you drain it and replace it? I have no problem replacing it I just have no way to measure the proper amount and the forks brand new so the oil should still be fine.

Seems easy enough, just looks like I need to buy MORE items oil, funnel, measuring cup and some grease. After all this something tells me the springs going to be too firm.
I did not spill a drop of oil. I have done three so far without a problem. Just make sure you have ample work space and that the fork is level on its side and won't move around unexpectedly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
96insa said:
I did not spill a drop of oil. I have done three so far without a problem. Just make sure you have ample work space and that the fork is level on its side and won't move around unexpectedly.
Wow, hard to believe it wont spill out on its side like that. Must not be that much oil?
So 96 do you think considering I have the whole fork apart already all I will need is some grease?

Thanks for the answer Scott. I didnt even know that had a fixed travel mode recon u turns.

·
Registered
6 Posts
JTreehorn said:
Wow, hard to believe it wont spill out on its side like that. Must not be that much oil?
So 96 do you think considering I have the whole fork apart already all I will need is some grease?
Yes, once you have the fork apart, just grease the new spring and reassemble.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.