Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guys need big time help. i want to take all my components off my 2010 GT Avalanche
Reba Shock
sram x9 coponents
Avid bb7 brakes

and purchase a very nicely priced 2007 Santa Cruz Blur LT frame(large) on CL right now and do an upgrade to the Blur. The frame i'm looking at has a freshly built RP23 rear shock and the pivots look like they are in good condition.

Am I crazy or will this work??? i know the blur takes a 140mm fork and my reba can go to 120mm. will this make a difference?

My budget is under 1k for the purchase of frame and whatever costs there are for having lbs install fork into the santa cruz frame. i can do the other installation of the sram derailleur, shifters, avid brakes etc. myself.

All help most appreciated

E

·
Advanced Slacker
15,573 Posts
Guys need big time help. i want to take all my components off my 2010 GT Avalanche
Reba Shock
sram x9 coponents
Avid bb7 brakes

and purchase a very nicely priced 2007 Santa Cruz Blur LT frame(large) on CL right now and do an upgrade to the Blur. The frame i'm looking at has a freshly built RP23 rear shock and the pivots look like they are in good condition.

Am I crazy or will this work??? i know the blur takes a 140mm fork and my reba can go to 120mm. will this make a difference?

My budget is under 1k for the purchase of frame and whatever costs there are for having lbs install fork into the santa cruz frame. i can do the other installation of the sram derailleur, shifters, avid brakes etc. myself.

All help most appreciated

E
Going with a shorter fork is going to steepen the head angle of the bike (all the angle, actually). It will work, but it's probably not the right fork for that bike. I'd ask this over on the Santa Cruz board and see if anyone is running a shorter fork.

Personally, I either go with a longer fork, or get a more xc oriented frame.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank-you. i will post over on the santa cruz board and see what they say. i was looking at some fox talas forks that are 140 mm and on ebay they can be had for 300. more than i want to spend since basically my gt frame will have my good reba fork on it just sitting there but that might be the price of doing business.

i'll see what the sc guys say. thanks.

E

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.