Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My LBS has a brand new, never ridden '03 Bullit. OK, this is my dream bike. Not necessarily a '03 but the Bullit itself. I guess I don't know too much about it because they are asking a very good price- $2079.00! So my problem is this: I was going to pull the trigger but I didn't look at the bike close enough I guess. My buddy went with me and pointed out a few things. First of all, the bike has Avid mechanical disc brakes! Besides that, the peddles are lame and the Boxxer Race forks seem to be leaking a bit of fluid. I didn't know that these bikes came in different levels of components.

I guess I could get the bike, and upgrade it as needed. But my logic is this... I shouldn't HAVE to! Do these bikes really have different levels of parts or has my LBS stripped this bike of the other parts and swapped 'em out?

Do you guys think this is a good deal? Any thoughts or opinions would be helpful.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Most Bullit's are more-or-less custom builds although some of the larger shops tend to have somewhat standardized setups (eg monster fork for downhill, Z1-150 for freeride), with a lot of 5th elements.

Since you're the buyer (and in the drivers seat)... was the bike a demo btw? :eek:

Why not ask them to swap the brakes out for hydraulics and shop-warranty the fork (assuming that's the fork you want). Long story short I think you have a lot of flexibility.

Try to get them to throw in 2 years of free maintenance (if one is their standard).

I got an '03 bullit off of mtbr.com in great shape for $1300 last summer.

some decent components, but not great (5th element, XT group, marz Z1 dropoff-II fork)

so good luck. If it's "new" that definitely is worth something. I think a MB price on a bullit fork is still at least $1k.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Ditch the boxxer fork...

IMO - you could do better in the classifieds or ebay..there are slightly used bullits with better components for alot less...I think that boxxer race is a weak point in that deal - esp if its leaking...If it was $1500 then I'd say yeah, get it and get rid of the fork. :cool:

G

·
That sounds like the spec that they had for the catolog photo and on their website for 03.

If you buy it from them, they should make sure the shifting is smooth, brakes are good and that the shox is in decent condition. Ask them if they will do an overhaul on the boxxer before you buy it.

You definately are not getting shafted on the deal though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.