Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

My name is Ryan, and this is my first post on the forum! I've been riding BMX since '95 and over the past few years have taken a serious interest in riding mountain bikes. I recently cracked my aluminum specialized frame, and have been searching around for a steel hardtail.

So far, I have been interested in the Salsa "Ala Carte." I noticed the 2010 frames weigh a pound heavier than the older orange versions. One of my questions is, what is an average weight for a steel hardtail frame? I'm not looking for something on the fringe of either lightness, or something that feels like a tank. I'm just wondering what the average weight is for a steel hardtail frame.

Also, if anyone has a Salsa Ala Carte (orange one preferably), I am willing to buy it!

·
Registered
44 Posts
check out some of the on one frames. I know that the 456 weighs in at around 5.5 pounds but it is extremely affordable and look pretty sexy too... can even get it in glow in the dark ;) that model (depending on size) is priced from around $160. Sounds good to me! Im looking at getting one and running it full rigid.

·
Trail Junkie
2,210 Posts
Just out of curiosity....if you cracked your Specialized frame, did you buy the bike new or used? All Specialized frames come with a Lifetime Warranty, and a frame replacement/to a current replacement model would be available..if you are the original owner.

Is there a reason specifically why you want steel over aluminum? If it is due to the ride quality, I can understand. Otherwise, aluminum is less expensive, lighter, and just as strong. I don't think buying steel because you broke an aluminum frame is valid...especially if it was an old frame. There is plenty of solid built aluminum frames that are very versitile and very strong, and come with great warranties.

I don't want to steer you away from a Salsa Ala Carte because Salsa makes great products, but 26" hardtails are dime a dozen now-a-days, and you could spend weeks researching that segment.

Have you considered a 29" hardtail? Especially for someone just getting into the sport, you may find that you like the 29" platform a bit more.

The March 2011 issue (out now) of Mountain Bike action is something you should take a look at even if it means hanging out at Border's for an hour. Read the article starting on pg. 42 "26er vs 29er ", and also the segment starting on pg. 50 "Picking the Right BIke."
Also there are quite a lot of Steel 29er frames available as well. I just don't want you to be stuck on one product in one platform if you don't know all your options.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey guys, thanks for all the advice :)

My specialized frame was one given to me by a friend (we were sharing the bike before he moved to alaska). I could probably refund it, but I think I'm going to look for something new.

The reason I wanted steel was for the ride. Though I plan on racing some this season, I don't plan on taking it too seriously, and to me riding is all about having fun, and I know steel frames are a bit softer feeling with the flex. I've been on cromoly bmx frames for so long, I just have a preference for steel.

I had my eyes set on the Salsa Ala Carte (orange 05) model, but I can't find them. I just discovered the SOMA "Groove" frame and it looks like something I wouldn't mind riding :)

So far, I'm liking the geometry specs, and it is compatible with my 80mm Fox fork. I also like the short rear-end length of this bike. Right now, I'm just trying to decide on the 17inch model or 19inch model... I am 5'11 and 6 foot with shoes on... My friend has a custom mt. bike frame, and whatever the length of his toptube is, is what I will get. I really like the feel of his bike, and considered buying it, but its a single-speed only, and though I've spent the last 1.5 years on a single speed, I would like the option of gears every once in awhile.

·
Trail Junkie
2,210 Posts
If you are looking into a frame only, you could consider the route I took. I bought a Soul Cycles Dillinger . It is probably one of the best values out there frame-wise. It can be built up geared or SS. Over the next 2 weeks, I will have be taking pictures of the build..granted it is by no means a budget build. It is meant for racing and training.

Soul Cycles Dillinger: $399 powdercoat, $449 brushed.
All frames come with Titanium hardware, and anodized EBB/seatcollar/dropout color of choice.

http://www.ridesoul.com/dillingerg4.html

I believe they offer build kits, and it might be worth talking to Chad (one man show for Soul Cycles) to see what they offer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.