Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
gainlessly unemployed
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to find an oddball sized hub for an oddball project bike.

What I need, yet cannot find:
SS disc hub.
120mm spaced

Yeah, I'm at a total loss here.

Thanks!

·
gainlessly unemployed
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The intent is to braze an ISO disc mount to the back of a Surly Steamroller (120mm) and run a SS drivetrain. With this in mind, coaster braked hubs and track hubs would not work.

I know the older Monocogs were 120mm, but they were house branded Redline stuff.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Tame Ape said:
The intent is to braze an ISO disc mount to the back of a Surly Steamroller (120mm) and run a SS drivetrain. With this in mind, coaster braked hubs and track hubs would not work.

I know the older Monocogs were 120mm, but they were house branded Redline stuff.
Doh! I missed the disc part in your original post.
My google search turned up this: http://urbanvelo.org/montano-velo-fixed-hub-disc-adapter/ , not sure if that's an option or even currently in production. Other than that I've come up blank also, sorry for my poor comprehension skills:madman:

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Just run a mullet setup unless you are really set on the idea of a full disc Steamroller. Really simple and will 90% as powerful as a full disc setup. I think I remember people looking for something like this before but I don't remember anyone finding a solution.

btw original monocogs were 110mm and I believe these were all non-disc

edit: i missed the adapter thingies in DanD's post. Interesting if you can get them

·
Currently in Exile
2,303 Posts
Read this http://sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html.

Your Surly frame is made from steel it does apply. I did this with a Shogun frame from the 80s a few years back. Worked awesomely.

Thanks Sheldon Brown.

·
gainlessly unemployed
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yah, I shot off an email to the Montano Velo people last night and will follow up with a phone call today.

I can't run mullet. The rims I'm running have the ELVS treatment on them (retro-reflective vinyl) and this means that I can only use hubs based braking systems. Because I also use this bike as my fixed-gear/ lock-up in the less icy months, respacing is not possible

I'm not hitting the trails with it either, I have an older Kona Unit for that.

It really is a goofy project, I'm trying to make my Steamroller, 2010 compatible! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.