Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats up guys
i am lookin at getting a bike here soon like with in the week and i have been checking out a couple of cheaper freeride hardtails like the trek bruiser 1, haro 8.1, kona sherd, and so on. just wonder what you would recommend just for something to go screw around on and that will hold up to the punishment of a 250 lb rider. i dont do really hardcore freerideing just the smaller stuff i havnt riden in a long time and figured i need to get back into shape although round is a shape lol. but just give me some feedback of the pros and cons of some of the cheaper freeride bikes
thanks

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
WATTO said:
whats up guys
i am lookin at getting a bike here soon like with in the week and i have been checking out a couple of cheaper freeride hardtails like the trek bruiser 1, haro 8.1, kona sherd, and so on. just wonder what you would recommend just for something to go screw around on and that will hold up to the punishment of a 250 lb rider. i dont do really hardcore freerideing just the smaller stuff i havnt riden in a long time and figured i need to get back into shape although round is a shape lol. but just give me some feedback of the pros and cons of some of the cheaper freeride bikes
thanks
Our shop stopped carrying Trek due to QC issues in their frames. I'm not saying that they're bad bikes, not at all, but we feel that they aren't what they used to be. We carried Trek for like 15 years before that.
Haros are sweeeet. Very beefy. I had an 8.3 last year, and my BMX bike was a tricked out Mirra. I would get the haro escape 8.2. Slightly better component selection and you get the 8 inch rotor upfront. Otherwise the frames are the exact same.
Konas are very nice, though the components aren't that great considering what you're paying for them. But really bombproof.
The Bruiser.... Eh... Pass on it.
You might want to check out Specialized P.series bikes. You can pick up used ones for around 500 all the time (complete bike). Specialized makes supar burley bikes.

So... In order... Specialized, Haro, Kona

If you're on more of a budget, you can try a Giant STP or Giant ACid. I have no clue how well they hold up, but are very modestly priced.

If your budget allows... Planet X :D Just got my brother-in-law a tricked out 'o1 Planet X with the old style XTR cranks (single ring up front) and XTR rear derailleur (8 speed). Older Marzocchi fork. Hope 2o3 mm full hydro disc up front and a XT vee in the rear. Azonic Worldforce bars. Just a really tricked out ride. Great price too, only 320 bucks. :eek:

·
Registered
421 Posts
What's your budget. Check out the '04 P.2. My friend has one. He is just getting into cycling and uses it for light freeride. He is your weight (dropped 10# since got his bike) and loves his. Super burly, ultra cool looking frame (matte black) and decent spec.

At your weight the frame, wheels and cranks are most important. As you go bigger the fork becomes more important (and expensive)

Attachments

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i end up getting the 8.1 haro got it for a good deal but thanks for all the imput

1 - 4 of 4 Posts