Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My monocog has 18x38 stock (?) gearing now. It's a little tough in some places but I've rode it like that for a year now and can manage most local trails ok. Here's my question: I'm building up a Fetish SS frame I got off ebay and need to decide on gearing for a upcoming trip. I have a Salsa 34t front chainring on order for the front. I'm thinking of 1 16t rear cog and maybe a 18T beside it so I can switch up for different trails. Does this sound reasonable? I feel like the 18t will be too spinny but a 17t may not be a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Where are you riding now? What kind of terrain? Where are you going? What kind of terrain?

I found myself comfortable on 34:20.
A guy who is stronger than me and more a more experienced single speeder uses 40:23 on the same terrain (hilly northern new england)

There are other experienced riders on this forum that ride 34:20, 36:23, etc. It is highly dependent on the terrain you are riding.

·
Registered
34 Posts
give yourself options

You will get as many "perfect gear" opinions as riders you ask, so get several combinations and experiment for yourself. I have 32, 34, 36 rings and 16 and 19 cogs. This give me a pretty wide range of choices that I pick based mostly on my fitness. In the winter, I run the smallest one I have, 32-19. By late summer, I can turn the bigger ones.
Tom

·
SNGLSPD
1,058 Posts
only you can answer this

Cranman said:
My monocog has 18x38 stock (?) gearing now. It's a little tough in some places but I've rode it like that for a year now and can manage most local trails ok. Here's my question: I'm building up a Fetish SS frame I got off ebay and need to decide on gearing for a upcoming trip. I have a Salsa 34t front chainring on order for the front. I'm thinking of 1 16t rear cog and maybe a 18T beside it so I can switch up for different trails. Does this sound reasonable? I feel like the 18t will be too spinny but a 17t may not be a noticeable difference.
2/1 is always a good starting point.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.