Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Here is the situation. I am looking to get my sister a new FS bike. She has been a bike (an motorcycle rider) for years and rides both road and mountain. She is currently riding a 6-8 year old KHS hardtail but won't spend the money to purchase a new FS bike, even though she really wants one (she looked at my Turner when she was visiting with the look like I have never seen). Technically, she is a very competent rider and she is a strong enough climber that should could be a competative racer (she was a Gymnast, swimmer, etc., through high school and continues to rock climb, etc.) She is 5'1 - 5'2", about 110-115 pounds (very lean), and 39 years old. She currently lives in the Austin Texas area but may move to Colorado in the near future.

The bikes that I am considering for her are:

Titus Racer X 80mm- Size XS
Santa Cruz Julian- Size M
Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite Womans
Specialized Epic Womans Size Small

I am leaning toward the Titus or Specialized, because I believe that the FSR link is a superior design to the single pivot. Any thought from someone that has ridden both? I am also on the fence concerning getting her disk or V-brakes. Given her light weight it seems that disks may be overkill in complexity and weight. Anyone have thoughts about it (I am a 225 pound clyde so I find a big difference between v-brakes and disks)? Two other concerns I have is the standover heights on the Specialized bikes, especially the Stumpjumper, and the Fox Floats stiffness for lighter riders on the Epic. Finally, I would expect her to have this bike for 10+ years given how long she keeps bikes.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I think good disc brakes just plain work better (better modulation in addition to better stopping power) - so I'd recommend them to anyone regardless of weight. (there are a few threads on disc brakes here in the women's forum if you search back a bit.) As far as standover and fit go, I think you'll have to get her to test ride the bikes you're thinking of to see what works best for her.

·
Premium Member
4,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Problem is that I want to get it for a birthday present and I live 1500 miles away. Most likely I will have to order it and have it shipped. I am leaning toward the Racer-X because Titus will take it back within 10 days if she doesn't like it. Any more thoughts on Disc Brakes?

Thanks

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
CDMC said:
Hi All,

Here is the situation. I am looking to get my sister a new FS bike. She has been a bike (an motorcycle rider) for years and rides both road and mountain. She is currently riding a 6-8 year old KHS hardtail but won't spend the money to purchase a new FS bike, even though she really wants one (she looked at my Turner when she was visiting with the look like I have never seen). Technically, she is a very competent rider and she is a strong enough climber that should could be a competative racer (she was a Gymnast, swimmer, etc., through high school and continues to rock climb, etc.) She is 5'1 - 5'2", about 110-115 pounds (very lean), and 39 years old. She currently lives in the Austin Texas area but may move to Colorado in the near future.

The bikes that I am considering for her are:

Titus Racer X 80mm- Size XS
Santa Cruz Julian- Size M
Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite Womans
Specialized Epic Womans Size Small

I am leaning toward the Titus or Specialized, because I believe that the FSR link is a superior design to the single pivot. Any thought from someone that has ridden both? I am also on the fence concerning getting her disk or V-brakes. Given her light weight it seems that disks may be overkill in complexity and weight. Anyone have thoughts about it (I am a 225 pound clyde so I find a big difference between v-brakes and disks)? Two other concerns I have is the standover heights on the Specialized bikes, especially the Stumpjumper, and the Fox Floats stiffness for lighter riders on the Epic. Finally, I would expect her to have this bike for 10+ years given how long she keeps bikes.

Thanks for any help.
wanna buy my Dean?! i'm selling an XS ti FS Dean Ace 3.0 frame. it would require that you build it up from the frame but it's an awesome frame! seriously.

disc brakes are good no matter what you weigh. especially if she is likely to be moving to CO in the near (or not so near) future. discs will add weight to the bike but will be well worth the weight in the mtns.

just out of curiosity, why are you looking at bikes in every size from an XS to a M? that's a pretty broad range of sizes. also, has she ridden any of these bikes? just wondering.

i'm serious about the Dean frame. let me know if you're interested.

rt

·
Registered
69 Posts
The Juliana and the Specialized SJ Elite are women-specific and the larger frame is appropriate. I am 5'4" rode the SC Juliana Medium (perfect fit), and now ride the Specialized SJ Pro (non-women specific) in a Small. If I have to compare the two, I would tell you that the Specialized SJ does everything beautifully and is a tremendous price/performance package. I have disc brakes on mine with XT/XTR components, in addition to UST rims. I've never met anyone who didn't love the bike. For some reason, Specialized overstates the standover, so for my bike, they would quote it at about 28" when it is closer to 27" (men's frame). The Epic uses the brain shock which makes for a harder racing type ride (what will she be riding, race trails or rocks?)..the FSR is also a race bike, just like the Intense Spider (which I have in XS).

Specialized is easy to find dealers to support the bike for parts too..another plus. From your list, I'd go Specialized Stumpjumper Elite, Comp or Pro if rocks are in her future (it also handles nicely on buff trails).

·
Premium Member
4,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll bite, how much are you asking for the ACE? Your profile doesn't list PM and won't take e-mails. You can e-mail me at [email protected].

Thanks for the info on the Specialized. I called Titus and they are 2 months out on the Racer-X right now so I may look at the Specialized.

·
internet axe murderer
220 Posts
Go local

I think it would be better if you could buy the bike from a shop in your sister's area, rather than ship one to her. Then if the bike needs a different stem, different saddle, completely different frame size, suspension tuning, whatever, she will have an LBS with a stake in getting the bike to fit right.

Nice gift, btw!

Spike

CDMC said:
Problem is that I want to get it for a birthday present and I live 1500 miles away. Most likely I will have to order it and have it shipped. I am leaning toward the Racer-X because Titus will take it back within 10 days if she doesn't like it. Any more thoughts on Disc Brakes?

Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts