Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never been. I did read up on the MTBR trail reviews so I kind of have a feel for the place.

Here's the deal, I'm taking my niece (on college break) for a ride this Sat. They live in Saratoga so I thought we'd ride off Prospect trailhead and do some loops in Fremont Older.

She rides on campus, but maybe never on a mountain bike trail. I've never been there. This is the place since it is close to her house and she has been there. So maybe some other time another place would be fun, Fremont Older is the pick for the first time.

So what's a good way for us to spend a few hours there? Firetrails are ok.

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Fremont Older gets very muddy after the rains and the mud sticks to the tires. It's not a good place to ride right now.
If or when the trails dry up a bit: you can park your car at the junction of Stelling and Prospect. Ride up Prospect Road (as a nice warm up), after the Saratoga Country Club you turn left and reach a small dirt parking lot at the end. Ride up the trail across from the parking lot, do the Seven Springs Loop, Toyon trails (if they are open) and some single track on the other side of the hill. In two hours you can easily ride all the trails there at least once.
Enjoy, J.L.

·
Registered
258 Posts
http://www.openspace.org/preserves/maps/pr_fremont.pdf

From Cora Older Trail, I'd hit Hayfield, Fern, Vista Loop, Bay View Trail, to Toyon (note that the middle and southern sections of Toyon are currently closed), then to Woodhills and Seven Springs (either direction) and back to Cora Older. The things I'd avoid are Ranch Rd and Coyote Ridge Trail (the dam side climb from Stevens Canyon Rd), unless you're into boring/sustained fireroad climbs.

With the on/off rain it might be wise to skip it altogether. The dirt here turns into a sticky, clay-like mud.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,477 Posts
You need to go to St. Joseph's Hill in Los Gatos. It's only 10 minutes away from Saratoga. The ride starts from a very active downtown and there's a lot of options at the top.

And most important... trail conditions are going to be wayyy better.

fc

·
Registered
457 Posts
I agree with Francis and others on this one. Fremont Older will most likely be a miserable mud bog. I recommend St. Joe's too, except that the initial climb can be a morale breaker for beginners and the unfit. St. Joe's start off by going straight up hill, just be prepared. One alternative would be to drive up hwy 9 to 35 to Long Ridge and ride out to Wallace Stegner's bench and back. Not sure how well it drains up there or if it is really wet, but the ride is almost all fireroad and has great views, the hills are short and rolling and the ride is about 6 miles. Park at LR01 (across the street) and ride Hickory Oaks to Long Ridge Road out to LR04 (where the bench is). Just a thought.
Rick

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow thanks so much for the help. Is local knowledge the best or what?!

"Horse Toilet" ? Ha! I ride Chabot a lot so I know exactly what you mean.

We have a family get together in Saratoga that afternoon, so can't do China Camp this time.

Ok found this and I'm on the case.
http://www.openspace.org/preserves/pr_st_josephs.asp

·
CHOCOLATE NASTIES Baker
1,289 Posts
Route Suggestion

This is the way that I usually go. Serpentine can be a bit sloppy after rain so if it looks too wet you can bypass it and stay on Manzanita.
About 3.5 miles so do as many loops at the top that you want to get the desired workout.
Have fun and watch for rangers on the way back down. They like to hang out with a radar gun at the bottom.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.