Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I need a new fork, I have a very old fork, and I have not ridden in a yr I injured my back while riding. So I am feeling better now and would like to get a updated fork. I had a very old low end manitou fork. I am a cross country rider and would not be jumping anything at all. Mostly roots, small rock, east coast riding.

What shock should I get? Also willing to spend alittle more (not a poser) but would like to get a nice fork with out spending more than say $410. Any suggestions on a 2006, or a new 2007 would be appreciated. I am thinking about a reba, sid or?

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
Atomic300 said:
Ok I need a new fork, I have a very old fork, and I have not ridden in a yr I injured my back while riding. So I am feeling better now and would like to get a updated fork. I had a very old low end manitou fork. I am a cross country rider and would not be jumping anything at all. Mostly roots, small rock, east coast riding.

What shock should I get? Also willing to spend alittle more (not a poser) but would like to get a nice fork with out spending more than say $410. Any suggestions on a 2006, or a new 2007 would be appreciated. I am thinking about a reba, sid or?
Don't get a SID, it is a very flimsy fork, the weight saved is not worth the degradation in stiffness. Reba is a very sound fork, hard to beat at the price point. If you'd like to save a few bucks and don't mind a little extra weight the Tora 318 is basically a heavier Reba.

Marzocchi XC 600 with TST2 would be a great choice, too. Smoother than the Reba, very stiff and ultra reliable.

Fox would have to be a used one.

_MK

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
well, check your headtube. if its a really old manitou, then maybe your headtube is 1" rather than 1 1/8. reba's are very nice. I got the chance to ride a manitou R7, that was a pretty sweet fork.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
What bike is it going on? A 100mm Minute would be alright, though an R7 would be more appropriate for XC. You can probably find an '06 Fox Vanilla on sale within your price range. You'd want to reduce it to 100mm for most XC bikes, but that's sooper easy. You just need to move around a couple of spacers. The Reba would be good too.
In order:
Vanilla
Reba
R7
Minute

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a 95/94 stumpie steel frame, the bike is still in good shape after ten yrs. I never really abused it. Why never bought anything after I guess it was just no dinero. Last yr got a nice jamis hybird road bike to ride paved paths and commute to work, but got injury. So now I want a shock that will motivate me to ride more. I did put new v brakes on it. So you could say still in the old school thinking, no disc brake bike yet.

Also I thinking of getting a dual suspension bike but have not decided which brand.

·
Registered
144 Posts
reba is the best choice
If you want to get a great fork for a great deal I have a Tora 318 on ebay right now.
IMO the minute is overdamped and all-around crappy feeling. but... some people love them

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.