Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Alright, thanks to Brian over at the Path in CA. I've got a i9 wheelset laced to delgado races. Blue hub (for my blue mariachi) black spokes and rims. In stock and headed my way today....worked out nicely! :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
228 Posts
good deal

mud'n'sweat said:
Alright, thanks to Brian over at the Path in CA. I've got a i9 wheelset laced to delgado races. Blue hub (for my blue mariachi) black spokes and rims. In stock and headed my way today....worked out nicely! :thumbsup:
That was a nice deal Brian had going. If it weren't for the Salsa hoops not being "tubeless compatible" I would have snatched those up for my Spider.

Congrats! I'm sure you are going to love em.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
kstine71 said:
That was a nice deal Brian had going. If it weren't for the Salsa hoops not being "tubeless compatible" I would have snatched those up for my Spider.

Congrats! I'm sure you are going to love em.
Stans list the Delgado to work well with their system, but I'm not so sure I will bother trying it out. I'll likely swap them out with the arches if I am not happy with them. My current wheels are built up on Delgado Disc and I have really been happy with them as a rim overall. I just noticed (okay, so maybe JNC noticed) the rear being a bit out of true and I hadn't touched them since I built them up in October.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
228 Posts
yessir, Stans lists the Delgado, not the Delgado Race.

There was a thread here in the 29er forum about converting the Race wheels. Made me a little hesitant.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=280557&highlight=salsa+delgado+race+tubeless

The thread didn't say you couldn't do the conversion. Just enough skepticism to make me rethink those hoops for that application.

Like you mentioned.. you probably aren't converting anyway. So moot point.
 

·
On your left.
Joined
·
1,188 Posts
Now is the time to convert

The new bead-lock rims allow mounting of tires with a floor pump. I've been using Stans rims for years and the new ones are so well designed for mounting tires it is just amazing. It really is nearly as fast as using a tube. I have mounted 2 Crow tires and 1 Kenda Small Block. Very easy - and I have a cheapo $20 Ascent pump. No more using the compressor at work.

I picked up a huge roofing nail in my rear tire a few days ago on the road. I left it in for >20 miles until I got home! This was a huge nail - I was shocked when I took it out. With a tube it would have caused a very rapid deflation and likely gouged the inside of the rim. Tubeless, I did not even have to add air, although it did go down about 5-10psi.

UPDATE:
Last night I installed a Schwalbe Little Albert on the 355 rim. Took me 2 hours! It was a major pain because the tire has much more structure than the Crow or SB8 and the bead dropped into the middle of the trough in the rim allowing air out - i.e. not sealing and riding up the shoulder to the rim wall. I had to do the install tube and remove trick twice and using 3 hands and a tire lever slide the bead up onto the shoulder while pumping. Finally got it. So, the ease of tubeless convertions is 100% tire dependant. However, I think this makes a better converted tire than the Crow, which is too flexible to run low pressures.



mud'n'sweat said:
Stans list the Delgado to work well with their system, but I'm not so sure I will bother trying it out. I'll likely swap them out with the arches if I am not happy with them. My current wheels are built up on Delgado Disc and I have really been happy with them as a rim overall. I just noticed (okay, so maybe JNC noticed) the rear being a bit out of true and I hadn't touched them since I built them up in October.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
P-Funk said:
I've been eyeing some I9s for my SS recently too. What's the weight of the I9/Arch wheelset? I weigh 220, so I've been leaning towards the Flow or maybe another brand of rim. Anyway, for you, you could probably get by with the 355s, but I'd be a tad worried about being aggressive on them. You're probably correct in choosing the Arch rim.
1690g for the pair. What would Flows add, few more gramms? I'm waiting for the I9's with Flows,it's been a long wait...
 
21 - 26 of 26 Posts
Top