Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a few days of searching out info here and trying to decide on a new wheel set, I think I am going to go with the i9's with arches. I still however want some feedback as to whether these wheels will suite me well or not.

About me.....

I'm 175lbs. and ride a rigid El M in central/western VA as well as frequent trips to western NC and W.VA.

I'm starting to get into the whole racing thing and need something lighter and more stiff than my current heavy XT hubs with delgado disc. I'll also be doing endurance races on these as well and need something reliable. I thought about going ztr 355 but worry about their durability. I'd like to go with the Flows for strength and width but am not big on the weight penalty.

I ride fairly aggressively but try to pick clean lines and ride fairly smooth.

Do you wheel buffs think I'm making the right choice for my scenario?

·
You Are What You Is
920 Posts
I've been eyeing some I9s for my SS recently too. What's the weight of the I9/Arch wheelset? I weigh 220, so I've been leaning towards the Flow or maybe another brand of rim. Anyway, for you, you could probably get by with the 355s, but I'd be a tad worried about being aggressive on them. You're probably correct in choosing the Arch rim.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I got the I9/Arch geared combo about a month ago. I didn't weigh them, but the LBS said they came in just under 1700g.

I wish I could give some decent feedback about how they ride. So far so good. But its been so wet lately I've only been on them for about 20 miles.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
kstine71 said:
I didn't weigh them, the the LBS said they came in just under 1700g.
That is hopeful news, can anyone else who weighed them confirm a similar weight?

Thanks for the feedback, any bit is helpful :)

·
You Are What You Is
920 Posts
kstine71 said:
I got the I9/Arch geared combo about a month ago. I didn't weigh them, the the LBS said they came in just under 1700g.

I wish I could give some decent feedback about how they ride. So far so good. But its been so wet lately I've only been on them for about 20 miles.
Wow, that's pretty freaking light, all things considered. And the Flows are only 55 more grams each. So that would put a Flow/I9 wheelset right at 1800g. Not bad, if that weight is accurate.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Go with the Flow.

It covers you better for all the bigger tires coming out. Bigger tires need a wider rim... :D

A wider rim = more stability.

R.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rainman said:
Go with the Flow.

It covers you better for all the bigger tires coming out. Bigger tires need a wider rim... :D

A wider rim = more stability.

R.
I've been shying away from the larger tires. I was all over the neve's, ww's etc. at first, but quickly realized the larger 29" wheel compensation for grip and cornering worked well with the smaller, lighter, faster rolling tires. I feel more stable and with more grip on many 2.1 29" tires than I did on many 2.5 26" tires. Light, fast and durable is my goal.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Since its raining and I'm bored, went to the garage to warm up the scale.

I9's with Arch
Hayes 6" rotors
XT cassette
SB8's
yellow strips and valve
a BUNCH of Stans sealant, SB8's aren't holding air well yet

Rear = 4.78lb or 2168g
Front = 3.54lb or 1605g

There was a little mud on the SB8's. So these weights will be high.

This combo is light and fast. Not so sure on durability yet.

Some pics.
Vacation June 2007 031 compressed.jpg

Vacation June 2007 033 compressed.jpg

Vacation June 2007 032 compressed.jpg

Vacation June 2007 034 compressed.jpg

·
Registered
101 Posts
Wheels for the Blue Ridge

I lived and rode in H'burg for four years and come back for the SM100 each year. Last year I rode singlespeed I9's laced to 355's. Good race wheelset but if I was riding my old stomp'n grounds on a daily basis I would choose Archs.

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
I'm 155 wet, and am just on the fine fine edge of being able to run ZTRs on the back of my i9, full rigid. I have 2 pairs. If you want to keep the weight down, go with a ZTR in the front. For sure, Arch, or Flow in back. I think Arch would be fine. The Flow is very substantial compared to Arch or ZTRs.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I lived and rode in H'burg for four years and come back for the SM100 each year. Last year I rode singlespeed I9's laced to 355's. Good race wheelset but if I was riding my old stomp'n grounds on a daily basis I would choose Archs.
Yup, I think you're dead right. Riding stuff like Little bald and torrey ridge on a regular basis definitely would be sketch at my weight on the 355's.

I've never done a tubless set up yet, and am ready to give it a try. I had Mavic UST on my old 26" wheelsets and never even gave it a shot.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
I have the heavier hubs (enduro) & my I9 wheelset (ss) w/ 20mm end caps & bolt-on rear axle weigh in at 840 (F) and 1070 (R). I would recommend the Flow rims as well, personally. I'll take the extra 1/4lb of rotating weight for the additional rim width & beef. I have 2 sets of I9's with the Flows and they have been a very solid, durable wheelset.

·
HMFIC
370 Posts
Here are some actual weights for my 29er wheelsets, including two I9 sets:

1772g - Velocity VXC Rims / DT Supercomp Spokes / Hope Pro II Hubs (geared)
1690g - Stan's Arch Rims / Industry 9 Spokes and 6-Pawl Hubs (geared)
1682g - Stan's 355 Rims / DT Comp Spokes / Paul WORD/Fhub Hubs (singlespeed)
1630g - Stan's Arch (R), 355 (F) / Industry 9 Spokes and 3-Pawl Hubs (geared)

I'm about your same weight, riding Michigan woods/singletrack. I'm finding the I9's to work quite nicely. I will say that I have also had zero issues with my 355's on Paul Hubs, they are dead true after many singlespeed miles. In your situation, I'd probably go Arch front/rear as I did on my Sultan. 1690g for the pair on my scale as noted above.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, possible change in game plan.....

Looks like the wait on the i9's might be just too far out to have them built from i9. I found a pair of i9's through a retailer laced to Delgado Race rims for a decent price. I may just go with these and swap the rims down the road if need be. I have had great luck with my delgado disc rims, but haven't heard much on the race version.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
...in order to swap rims (down the road), you will need to utilize the same spokes (as new spokes will be very cost prohibitive). Make sure you match up the ERD's on your new rims to your old.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for pointing that out Jay, didn't consider it before. Looks like both the Arch and Delgado are a ERD 604 spec.

If I like them enough, I'll do an order on some enduros with flows for a beefier set to use on rougher fun days in the mountains.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I don't have any first hand experience but I remember reading a post from Larry Mettler aka Ventanarama saying that the Delgado Race rims are pretty flexy. If you go that route you may end up replacing the rims sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
12snap said:
I don't have any first hand experience but I remember reading a post from Larry Mettler aka Ventanarama saying that the Delgado Race rims are pretty flexy. If you go that route you may end up replacing the rims sooner rather than later.
I was wondering about that. Oh well, the rims can be replaced easily and time is of the essence.

·
On your left.
1,188 Posts
Arches plenty strong

I've got about 2 months on a set of wheels with regular 355 in front and Arch in rear. The arch is pretty damn stout. I weigh 185 and although I ride XC stuff I'd say there is no way I'd want the Flow. I often think I could have saved weight with the 355 in rear, but - 1) the 355 has a spoke tension limit, the Arches don't - so the rear has a nice responsive feel. 2) If the Arches feel stout now they should last longer. So, I'm good. The 355 in front is awesome.

More details on my wheels: F: 355 rim on WTB laser disc light hub laced with DT Supercomps. R: Arch rim on Hope Pro II hub laced with DT Supercomps. Total, measured (with yellow tape and valves) = 1690g. Less than $550 shipped. Made by Mike Garcia / oddsandedos.

mud'n'sweat said:
After a few days of searching out info here and trying to decide on a new wheel set, I think I am going to go with the i9's with arches. I still however want some feedback as to whether these wheels will suite me well or not.

About me.....

I'm 175lbs. and ride a rigid El M in central/western VA as well as frequent trips to western NC and W.VA.

I'm starting to get into the whole racing thing and need something lighter and more stiff than my current heavy XT hubs with delgado disc. I'll also be doing endurance races on these as well and need something reliable. I thought about going ztr 355 but worry about their durability. I'd like to go with the Flows for strength and width but am not big on the weight penalty.

I ride fairly aggressively but try to pick clean lines and ride fairly smooth.

Do you wheel buffs think I'm making the right choice for my scenario?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts