Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried following instructions to set up a rear derailleur (Sram X-4) but I can't get it to shift anywhere near right, never set up a derailleur before so I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I'm using it on a 7 speed cassette with an X-3 shifter but it won't get onto the smallest cog without screwing the high limit all the way out with the cable tightened or not. Once I've gotten it onto the smallest cog it won't shift back up onto the next one so I don't know where to go from here.

Any help would be really appreciated!

·
Registered
987 Posts
The responses here would get pretty long on possible root causes for your issues...did you watch and follow you tube videos for installing a new derailleur?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Shartacular Spectacular
443 Posts
+1 to wyte mike's general sentiments.

I'll start with the low hanging fruit: have you checked deraillure hanger alignment using a tool or similar homemade apparatus?

·
Registered
148 Posts
If the deraileur is on correctly and nothing is bent. You should be able to tighten the limit screw a bit then shift the shifter all the way to smallest cog and loosen the cable clamp screw. Now you should be able to back out the limit screw until the chain just shifts onto the smallest cog. Once that is done pull the slack from the cable and tighten the cable clamping screw. You should be able to shift up through the gears and make any minor tweaks at the shifter end cable adjustment. If it is still way off you probably have something bent, mounted wrong, or the b screw isn't set to the correct spot. Youtube probably has some good videos.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's pretty much the process I've been doing so must be something bent or out of place in some fashion. I didn't consider the B screw actually so thankyou, I'll give it a go!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Did you re-use old derailleur cable or use a new one? If you didn't install a new cable and housing, I would suggest doing that first, just to eliminate the cheapest solutions first. Then, if that doesn't work, replace hanger.

·
Registered
987 Posts
When the cable isn't attached to the derailleur at all and the limit is backed out all the way, it doesn't hit the smallest cog on cassette? If that is true it has to be something pushing the full derailleur body into an incorrect position...derailleur hanger bent, hanger not secured all the way, derailleur not full attached...etc

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I hope all suggestions are welcome.

Not sure this is a suggestion but -are you certain you are turning out the correct screw for the high limit.

H for Hard, or high gear. High gear is the smallest cog.

The screws are typically opposite side of the derailleur than the cog you're adjusting for due to the design of the derailleur.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.