Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Must have lightish cranks that are black...which should she have?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Why not just new LX, is isn't enough of a difference? I don't think I could tell the weights apart, holding them in my hands.
Over here, the deal on '03 XT's plus BB is hard to pass by.

·
climb
2,293 Posts
Padre,

I picked up some '03 XT cranks and BB for ~$120.00. Not a bad deal. If you want a real good for single speed cranks, pick up a set of Sugino XDs and some square tapers and ride like hell. That set up will be lighter than any other you find...

·
Registered
687 Posts
Truvativ Stylo GXP ?

These are pretty nice lookin' black cranks, 32tooth ring, outboard bearings...
Take the rock ring off and save some weight...
I just saw a set at WebCyclery and they are sweet.

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
Go sexy, durable and square I say. White Industries all the way. That way you know you'll never(if you run an XT bb) have bearing issues. The less trouble she has, the more she rides.

·
climb
2,293 Posts

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jl said:
Padre,

Your poll is now invalid--obviously you need a which set of black-cranks should I get.

Here's a very economical option.

http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&SKU=CR7364

$60 and black...
Man! That detail is in the poll question! I wonder if anyone actually read the question, and instead just skipped to the options....

·
Registered
804 Posts
terminaut said:
Coda Tarantulas...

Light weight.
Black annodized.
CNC'ed goodness.
Singlespeed.
Shimano-splined.
Compact pattern.

Look for 'em.

Wow, I havn't seen those in years. I never really cared for them before but I kind of like the idea of a CODA with shimano splines now. I guess it's just the nostalgia factor. I'd ride em! What length?

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
pah! Its only fashion. What's that matter when we're talking bikes? And the XT's you used for the last option are only available in silver. If you go that way, may as well go polished. Much prettier. I've seen black hubs from WI. Wonder why they won't do cranks? Send it off to Brett at Phil, I'm sure he could have something done for you. They just did a run a sweet navy blue hubs.

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
jl said:
Dude!

I read the question and half of your answers are NOT black. So then is it a 'must' or not. In my business, if you provide other alternatives, it becomes 'want'.

So I guess all cranks are now an option :D...

These are cool... http://www.crankbrothers.com/cobalt_sl.php
Incorrect!
White Industries has made black before...in fact the Path has a set in black in stock..but they're 180mm...doh!
RF Duece cranks come in black... held 'em today....
Old XTR's are at least kinda charcoal which in low light could potenially be considered black....

newayz..those cobalts are so pretty...i just might reconsider...are they even available?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.