Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sadly enough I am just now able to build my own bike. It's only sad because it has taken around 6 years of riding to get to this point. I am building an '04 Burner and have a few questions on components. I currently have a Schwinn Homegrown Factory that I got about a year before they sold out and I have thought about using some of the parts of of it, i.e. the bottom bracket and crankset. Crankset is XTR, but I'm not sure if I want to make that bike a piece of art just yet. Any suggestions on a good bottom bracket and crankset? The components will be SRAM if that makes any difference. Any/all of your input is greatly appreciated! Maybe some day I'll even get to leave Texas and do a little riding with my new hog.

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
You cannot beat the Shimano LX Hollowtech cranks and es-51 bottom bracket for the money. It is a light as any non-weight weenie crankset, every bit as stiff and cost about $80-90 with the bottom bracket. Keep your homegrown built, it will be fun to ride it when you want a change.

·
... I guess you won't be
1,974 Posts
dont waste your money on any race face ISIS bottom brackets!!!! It ain't glamorous, but you really cant beat an xt octalink [until the spider starts creaking....]

on second thought....there really is no foolproof BB/crank out there.....go cheap [LX isn't a bad idea!], you will be replacing it soon enough...

·
Registered
668 Posts
TXrider said:
Sadly enough I am just now able to build my own bike. It's only sad because it has taken around 6 years of riding to get to this point. I am building an '04 Burner and have a few questions on components. I currently have a Schwinn Homegrown Factory that I got about a year before they sold out and I have thought about using some of the parts of of it, i.e. the bottom bracket and crankset.
I had the same dilemma a few months ago - unfortunately for the Homegrown, I had to cannibalize the componentry. She just hangs there, now, while the Burner gets all the play. I loved that bike - someday I'll collect enough parts to revive her...

Anyway, I've been using a Truvativ Stylo Team crankset/BB for 2 years of hard, year-round riding with no issues. Fairly light and not insanely expensive, either. LX or XT are fine choices - I'm not convinced XTR is worth the extra scratch, but that's me.

Good luck. Save the Homegrown! Post pics when done....

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
TXrider said:
Crankset is XTR, but I'm not sure if I want to make that bike a piece of art just yet.
Don't fool yourself, once you get your Burner built up your Homegrown will quickly collect dust and a family of spiders will move in and take over. So throw on the XTR's that you've got and give those of us that are running the new two piece cranks a year or so to put them through their paces. If you've gotta buy new several recommend the '03 XT w/Octalink for its strength, rigidity, value and reliability.

FWIW my wife is running the 2 piece '04 RF Deus which exhibited some binding and resistance early on, but with a little wrenching over the weekend I think I've got the kinks all worked out. Time will tell.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What about FSA?

Anyone been on the FSA carbon pro or team issue? I have found them at a very discounted price, but I don't know anyone who currently rides them. I have also heard about issues with the BB on the team issue, but the FSA site says it can be ridden with Octalink V2 or ISIS.

·
Registered
413 Posts
tscheezy said:
The FSA Carbons are supposed to be very nice cranks. They are even pretty durable apparently. If you can find the Octalink model at a good price, they are swank.
They are very nice. I have had them on my 5-spot all year with no problems.
The FSA wheels that nobody seems to know about are also very nice and quite strong,
but they are more XC oriented.
Also, FSA is coming out with their own out board bearing cranks and BB very soon.
I have seen them and they look very nice. DW of E13 fame has been running them all season, and recommends them. They are supposed to be priced nice as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jeremy R said:
They are very nice. I have had them on my 5-spot all year with no problems.
The FSA wheels that nobody seems to know about are also very nice and quite strong,
but they are more XC oriented.
Also, FSA is coming out with their own out board bearing cranks and BB very soon.
I have seen them and they look very nice. DW of E13 fame has been running them all season, and recommends them. They are supposed to be priced nice as well.
What BB are you running with the cranks?

·
Registered
413 Posts
TXrider said:
What BB are you running with the cranks?
FSA Platinum Pro Isis 113mm
I have had it on my 5-spot all year with no problems.
On my DHR, I normally go through one a year about midseason.
But that bike takes alot more abuse, and all the racing in the rain
on the East Coast.
They have held up fairly well for me.

·
Registered
11,760 Posts
How about

TXrider said:
Sadly enough I am just now able to build my own bike. It's only sad because it has taken around 6 years of riding to get to this point. I am building an '04 Burner and have a few questions on components. I currently have a Schwinn Homegrown Factory that I got about a year before they sold out and I have thought about using some of the parts of of it, i.e. the bottom bracket and crankset. Crankset is XTR, but I'm not sure if I want to make that bike a piece of art just yet. Any suggestions on a good bottom bracket and crankset? The components will be SRAM if that makes any difference. Any/all of your input is greatly appreciated! Maybe some day I'll even get to leave Texas and do a little riding with my new hog.
04' XT crankset and BB. Weight is around 860gr.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.