Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need a cheap light setup (front and rear) for a 12 hour race I am riding in 3 weeks. I don't want to spend too much money or spend allot of time building my own since there aren't any trails in this area that I can legally ride at night so it will only be used for the race. Our team will probably be doing 1 hour shifts so I may need it for the most 2 hours of file on the batteries. Anyone have a suggestion for a cheap front and rear light (rear must be blinking red light) that will work ok?

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
mikeyp187 said:
I need a cheap light setup (front and rear) for a 12 hour race I am riding in 3 weeks. I don't want to spend too much money or spend allot of time building my own since there aren't any trails in this area that I can legally ride at night so it will only be used for the race. Our team will probably be doing 1 hour shifts so I may need it for the most 2 hours of file on the batteries. Anyone have a suggestion for a cheap front and rear light (rear must be blinking red light) that will work ok?
For the rear of your bike I assume you mean a small red light. You can get the tiny little red LED lights which just go on your seat-post for about $5. I use a single red LED in keyring shape not too heavy and doesn't get in the way.

Regarding a front light. There are a variety of systems that are good value and not too costly. You will not get a HID light on a budget.

A good system and cheap too is the Vista light lights which I think some of the big bike shops sell. Others include Light and Motion and Niterider. In fact check:
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/sub.aspx?i=199
For deals on Niterider lights prices range from $150ish upwards.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Jenson has some of the NiteRider HID lights for $289. Still pricey, but cheap for HID. If you can afford it, it's well worth it. Brighter beam and better battery life.

But if that is too pricey, some of the riders in my group ride with the Vista Lite Nite Stick setup that Supergo and Price Proint (where price is the point), with acceptable performance. Nothing stellar, but they work. A single lite setup can be had for as little as $60 and the double one goes for around $160 I think.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts