Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing a Progressive 5th Element air shock in place of my Tough Shock FD coil on my 2006 Iron Horse Maverick Trail. Does anyone know where I can purchase the shock mounting bushings to fit my Maverick Trail frame mounting location? Thanks Wardie

·
1946:2006:2066
1,458 Posts

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
It is truely pathetic that no one here in the USA is providing steel reducers for aftermarket (push used to but stopped), especially for replacement for the crappy aluminum ones comming on most fox shocks.

With that being said, some of the shock mfg are making them. Fox, progressive (coil only, more on this later), and marz all use the same sized reducers and bushings. Fox has them from time to time, and Marz has some sizes available as well (through any local bike shop via QBP or BTI) with what looks like most sizes to come.

Now for the issue at hand..the progressive air shock DOES NOT USE BUSHINGS. They use sperical bearings (also known as heim joints) at either end. This was done to eliminate side loading of the shock and to be tollerant of non-perfectly alligned frames. What you guys are looking for are (in the bike biz) called reducers, and unfortunately due to the odd mounting of the 5th air, are custom to that shock.

As a totaly random idea..the cane crek double barrel shock uses similar hiem joints and they can supply reducers for any frame for that shock....there is a slight chance that they might fit the 5th air....get some calipers keep your fingers crossed and call Malcom @ cane creek.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.