Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I'm just recently a regular MTB'er after I purchased my fisher tassajara, and my girlfriend is seeing how much fun I've been having, and wants in on the action as well! Unfortunately, she doesn't have anywhere near $600 to drop on a first bike. I read corphq9's thread here (http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=36210), and agree that my girlfriend should have a big say in what she gets. I plan on going to the LBS tomorrow to see what they might have for her, but I was hoping that I could get some suggestions here as well. We're looking to spend reall no more than $200 on the bike. It'd be possible to go over this amount if we were getting something much better, but money is extremely tight in college, especially towards the start of a new semester. Thanks in advance for any help/advice on models that might suit her budget constaints.

·
Registered
30 Posts
go used

getalot681 said:
Hey all. I'm just recently a regular MTB'er after I purchased my fisher tassajara, and my girlfriend is seeing how much fun I've been having, and wants in on the action as well! Unfortunately, she doesn't have anywhere near $600 to drop on a first bike. I read corphq9's thread here (http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=36210), and agree that my girlfriend should have a big say in what she gets. I plan on going to the LBS tomorrow to see what they might have for her, but I was hoping that I could get some suggestions here as well. We're looking to spend reall no more than $200 on the bike. It'd be possible to go over this amount if we were getting something much better, but money is extremely tight in college, especially towards the start of a new semester. Thanks in advance for any help/advice on models that might suit her budget constaints.
it will be very hard to find a bike at that price new. Your best bet is to look on that big internet auction site or locally check your version of the "want ad" magazines/classifieds. Many times you can get a decent bike in decent shape that someone wants to get rid of....thats how I got my road bike..saved about $700 bucks
good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
flyhigh said:
it will be very hard to find a bike at that price new. Your best bet is to look on that big internet auction site or locally check your version of the "want ad" magazines/classifieds. Many times you can get a decent bike in decent shape that someone wants to get rid of....thats how I got my road bike..saved about $700 bucks
good luck
Yeah, I guess I should have mentioned that I'm looking more along the lines of used, hence I'd be going around to the LBS to see what they might have. Like I said, I really don't know a ton about bikes nor many names, so if people would throw out some names and model years that I might search for on places like ebay, etc, it would help out greatly. Thanks flyhigh.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,859 Posts
Here's a thought.

getalot681 said:
I just got the latest Performance sale flyer. Starting Wed., they're going to have 2 Jamis "Comfort Mountain Bikes" on sale for less than $250. The '03 Cross Country 2.0 is $199, and the Explorer 4.0 is $249. They both have an upright sitting position, which the gf might actually like better.

May be a good place to start.

Edit: Here's the 4.0, from the Jamis site: http://www.jamisbikes.com/bikes/04_explorer4.html Caution- this may be an '04 model and different than the one Performance has on sale, but it looks similar to the pic in the Perf. flyer.

fp

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.