Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to find where I can purchase a new axle and bolts to convert a XT hub to a bolt on insted of the typical QR. The hub is not a disk hub if that makes a difference.

Any help would be appreciated. I don't seem to have much luck getting my questions answered on here. Maybe it is just the fact that no one seems to understand what I am saying?? :confused:

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there an easy way to figure out the threading with out taking the hub apart??

I put the new wheels on last night and added a chain tensioner on the drive side. It seems like that will help a bunch with the slipping.

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
gatman said:
...Any help would be appreciated. I don't seem to have much luck getting my questions answered on here. Maybe it is just the fact that no one seems to understand what I am saying?? :confused:
Huh? What? Did you say something?

Attachments

·
The man who fell to earth
335 Posts
I run a converted XT hub with the normal QR on my bike (w/horizontal dropouts), using a single surly tugnut (on drive side only) with QR adapter, and it keeps tension perfectly (i.e. no slippage). You might want to try that and see how it works before going through the trouble of swapping the axle, unless you're a clyde/huckster guy that snaps axles, that is.

Also, they have these things as another option:

https://www.nashbar.com/profile_moreimages.cfm?category=135&subcategory=1175&sku=8197&brand=

gatman said:
Is there an easy way to figure out the threading with out taking the hub apart?? I put the new wheels on last night and added a chain tensioner on the drive side. It seems like that will help a bunch with the slipping.

·
Mtn Biker Machinist
1,263 Posts
Same story

I have the nashbar bolt on skewers on my commuter, and they don't work so hot, no matter how much I crank on them, they still slip. The frame has front entry semi-horizontal dropouts, and it seems to slip every time I commute on it. I was thinking of switching to a solid axle, or trying to use a chain tug, but wasn't sure if it would work. Anyone tried this? if not, I will order one from aebike.com

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks! I looked on Sheldon Brown's site, but I didn't find it before. I guess I was looking in the wrong place. But, I am much closer now. I just need to check out the length.

I am currently using a chain tensioner with the bolt on skewers like the nashbar ones. That combo might be all that I need. I will probably test it out some before I order the solid axle.
The only thing I would like to be able to do is put another tensioner on the non-drive side, but my QR bolt is not long enough for that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts