Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
YESBRO!!!
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
may be going to LA tomorrow to run goldsprints on monday night and i'll be staying in pasadena.

can anyone recommend a piece of sweet singletrack near there for me or know someone who'd act as guide?

thanks!

·
low speed, high drag
317 Posts
Never taken a bike down, but I'm familiar with the area. There's a good trail around there known as El Prieto, look it up. Pasadena sits at the foot of the San Gabriel Mtns. so I'm sure there has to be good stuff up there. Only bummer is you would need a ride up. Most of the ridges top off around 7000 feet.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
A friend of mine took me on a ride up to what I think was called Echo Mtn. Started at the top of Lake Ave (Bl?) in Altadena via the Sam Merrill Trail. Good climbing workout, a few places you can take alternative routes, up to an old hotel site and railroad and some stuff further up the hill and around the back sort of, plus a really cool on the edge singletrack coming back down until you hooked back up with the Sam Merrill trail I don't remember the name of. Some googling should get you more...

·
YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
2,961 Posts
datenschwanz said:
may be going to LA tomorrow to run goldsprints on monday night and i'll be staying in pasadena.

can anyone recommend a piece of sweet singletrack near there for me or know someone who'd act as guide?

thanks!
Yo D-swanz
A you a wanna go to either the Mt. Wilson trail. Friggin awesome fire road climb and even mo awesome ST down. Right into the Sierra Madre Women's club.

Or Anything behind the JPL (Jet Propulsion lab) like Gabrielino, or Red Box area.
Strawberry too. hint hint ;)
Super sweet:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Good luck, there is some primo shiiite nearby.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
datenschwanz said:
mt wilson is under 3" of snow i was told in the socal forum.
I peeked at your post there, actually that guy said 2-3 feet of snow...

I forgot all about Geoladders, good site for socal ride info, used it last time I was down there. Looked at what I was thinking about, guess it's Mt Lowe and think this is pretty much the ride we did here http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?from_top=1&route_id=426. We did it in February after a little bit of snow in the area, nothing that got in the way of riding but do remember some little accumulation in spots, current conditions sound worse than that, though.

·
YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
2,961 Posts
Then...

datenschwanz said:
mt wilson is under 3" of snow i was told in the socal forum.
Go Up till you hit snow then.
Or go up Gabrilieno trail to Red box from the JPL - another EPIC !!Should be no snow?
Either way these are by far two of the best rides around Pasadena

PS- Lucky Baldwins is a Great English style pub for after ride beer and food. :thumbsup:

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.