Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
always licking the glass
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Thule bike carrier tray, and it seems to take at least two people to get the bike up on the roof of a sedan, one to stabilize the bike, and the other to put the arm and claw around the bottom tube of a bike.

Are there some better solutions that don’t require this much coordination so i can load and unload the bike myself from the roof without requiring a support staff of 12?

I like the 1UP trays, but not for a roof rack (same problem). I’d love to hear other suggestions here. Thanks!

·
Cycologist
16,909 Posts
Yeah, probably not what you want to hear but get a hitch if possible, so much easier. And now that I have one, I'm going to get a truck bed extender for my Crosstrek so I can carry a kayak without messing with getting it up onto the roof.

·
Registered
Guerilla Gravity Revved Smash
38 Posts
Yeah, probably not what you want to hear but get a hitch if possible, so much easier. And now that I have one, I'm going to get a truck bed extender for my Crosstrek so I can carry a kayak without messing with getting it up onto the roof.
And just get a 1up. Modular system is great, very simple, rock solid. Don’t bother with others, I did and wasted my time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
I get knocked down...
293 Posts
^It's so much easier to load the back tire first, as it won't let the bike fall side to side....

For my sedan I just used a fork mount, I thought that was easiest as it kept the weight lower when I was grabbing the fork.

Reactions: chazpat

·
since 4/10/2009
37,097 Posts
I've noticed that some people just don't get on with roof racks at all. I've had a couple over the years (fork mounts, Thule Sidearm, 1upUSA) and while I prefer the upright mounts, they are more fiddly positioning the bike. I felt like the various fork mounts I used back in the QR days were easier to load. At this point, fork mounts are "overflow" bike transportation when the hitch rack is full (Kuat NV 2.0) or the pickup bed rack is full because my wife is one of those folks who simply doesn't get on with roof carriers.

I've been tempted to get a 1up hitch mount base for those trays so I get a little more versatility out of them.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I've been tempted to get a 1up hitch mount base for those trays so I get a little more versatility out of them.
Good call.

With the 1up roof tray you can put the rear wheel in first to mostly stabilize the bike, then raise the bar for the front wheel.

Eventually as Harold writes, you can move the tray to a 1up base in the future if/when you have a hitch. The modularity is awesome.

·
since 4/10/2009
37,097 Posts
Good call.

With the 1up roof tray you can put the rear wheel in first to mostly stabilize the bike, then raise the bar for the front wheel.

Eventually as Harold writes, you can move the tray to a 1up base in the future if/when you have a hitch. The modularity is awesome.
yeah, when I've used mine, this is roughly how I've done it. though I've noticed that it doesn't matter THAT much which wheel goes in first. I've managed with using the front wheel to stabilize, too. but yeah, I lift the bike generally onto the roof and then worry about securing a single wheel at a time. but it does require that first of all, I'm strong enough to be able to get the bike up there relatively comfortably and that I also have a position high enough that I can adjust as needed. my wife has difficulty on both fronts.

I tried using a step to help out on a previous vehicle with a taller roof and that added notably to the challenge because now I'm more concerned with my balance on top of the other stuff.

·
Registered
Status 140, NS Suburban
465 Posts
I have a Thule bike carrier tray, and it seems to take at least two people to get the bike up on the roof of a sedan, one to stabilize the bike, and the other to put the arm and claw around the bottom tube of a bike.

Are there some better solutions that don’t require this much coordination so i can load and unload the bike myself from the roof without requiring a support staff of 12?

I like the 1UP trays, but not for a roof rack (same problem). I’d love to hear other suggestions here. Thanks!
I have the same rack, super easy to mount

• disassemble the rack, and adjust Ange and position of the main arm specifically to your frame
  • mount it back

when securing the bike:
  • rize and open the main arm
  • unfold tire trays buckles and secure via hole on the same side
  • lift the bike and inserts into the main arm
  • placing the wheels on the tire trays
  • start closing main clamp
  • adjust tire strap
  • lock main clamp

Having said that, I ordered 1 up tray, since Thule became to short for modern bike

·
Candlestick Maker
3,818 Posts
I have a lot of options for racks (lots of vehicles and many years riding). By far, my favorite rack is my 1up single tray hitch rack. Super light and easy to load and unload. I actually got the 1up when I had a major back injury and could barely lift my bike off of the ground. No way could I use a roof rack at that point.

Now, I only use roof racks when we go on family trips. If I wanted to waste more money on a roof rack, I would definitely consider the 1up tray as it doesn't get much simpler. But, I don't, so I continue to use my 2nd hand rocky mount and yakima fork mounts on my roof racks and deal with the inconvenience.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
8,331 Posts
the flat fold things are ideal IMHO

Toy Rectangle Font Wood Toy block

·
Disgruntled Peccary
6,611 Posts
I love the listing comment:
  • 300 lb. capacity with grip-dot textured surface makes the folding step stool safe for everyone, including kids. (Disregard Old Product Sticker with 200 lb. Limit. This Product is now Approved for 300 lb.)
But a folding step is a great idea.

·
Registered
Status 140, NS Suburban
465 Posts
So, received 1up, quick comparison to thule:

• 1up 2 times hevier
  • require you to have socket wrench to install
  • no locking mechanism to the roof railing or bike itself (purchased wheel locking from them separate)
  • not sure about pedestrian safety certification ( I assume it only applies to EU);

However it has
  • wheel only bike fixation system
  • longer base which I was looking for
  • could converted to hitch mounted
  • minimalistic packaging

Will see how it will perform, thule had 7 years of using without an issue, new bike just cannot be transported using it based on wheelbase

Cheers

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.