Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend who just started riding. He is totally in love with it and is riding all over and all the time, but he has totally beaten up his $100 WalMart special. :p Most of his riding is urban, so he doesn't need an FS rig, but he does neet fat tires for the occasional dirt road and definitely for the curbs. Front shock is probably a good thing... He's about 5'5" and 140lb.

He needs a bike that will be as indestructible as possible. Weight isn't really an issue as he likes "the excercise." Money is a constraint, $700 is probably the ballpark. He doesn't need sexy, he doesn't need light weight, the only thing he needs is durability and price.

Who makes a good solid low end mountain bike that might fit the bill? :confused:

Thanks to one and all. :D

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Nothing's indestructable

HardTail610 said:
I have a friend who just started riding. He is totally in love with it and is riding all over and all the time, but he has totally beaten up his $100 WalMart special. :p Most of his riding is urban, so he doesn't need an FS rig, but he does neet fat tires for the occasional dirt road and definitely for the curbs. Front shock is probably a good thing... He's about 5'5" and 140lb.

He needs a bike that will be as indestructible as possible. Weight isn't really an issue as he likes "the excercise." Money is a constraint, $700 is probably the ballpark. He doesn't need sexy, he doesn't need light weight, the only thing he needs is durability and price.

Who makes a good solid low end mountain bike that might fit the bill? :confused:

But there are definitely bikes out there that will take a beating. Try looking at a Giant STP 1 or STP 2. The 1 lists for $1000, and the 2, $600. Perhaps a leftover '04 STP 1 might come in around $800. I know it's more than you listed as a price range, but saving a little more money for the purchase will be worth it in the long run.

Clyde

·
Phil from San Diego
581 Posts
The Specialized HardRocks has pretty solid frames I think that would stand up to a bit of abuse. That's the only entry level bike that came to mind that might fit his needs for his $700 budget. Could almost buy 2.. =p

Phil.

·
Registered
11,771 Posts
Kona Cowan...

HardTail610 said:

might be wroth it..

·
Registered
485 Posts
HardTail610 said:

This is pushing the limit, price-wise, but sounds just about perfect for what you list.
36-spike wheels with freeride hubs, cranks with a bashguard, 1.5" headtube, etc.
http://www.supergo.com/profile.cfm?LPROD_ID=26072&hotdeal=true

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, well we always push the budget limits, right?
The FR or DH durability is what he needs and the bashguard is right up his alley!
And I guess the tires can't be too fat either since the rims aren't going to have bash guards :rolleyes:

Thanks, that's a good place to start. :cool:

HT

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
HardTail610 said:

Fisher Mullets and STPs are fun to ride and will be in that price point. There are many good ones, but I felt those two were good for motoring longer distances than some others I rode.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.