Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2013 Cannondale Scapel 3. I am trying to decide if I should buy a Stan's kit and set up tubeless or wait till next year (when I have some more cash) and buy some tubeless rims and tires. I have never had a bike running tubeless so I am a newbie when it comes to this. I just don't want to make a mistake and spend the $60.00 right now and not have it work, because I am already in the dog house for buying a new bike. The rims are Sun inferno 25 and I do see them on Stan's website under rims that will work with his kit, but I am unsure on the tire. The tire is a Schwalbe Racing Ralph Performance, which is not a tubeless tire. From the research that I have done it sounds like it has a thin sidewall, me being 215 lbs not sure if that is safe. Any advise or opinions would be great. Thanks

·
Slower But Faster
627 Posts
The non-tubeless ready Schwalbe tyres have quite thin sidewalls and small beads making them less suitable for tubeless conversion though it can be done. I'd say stick with your current setup until you wear out the current tyres then buy a tubeless kit and some tubeless ready tyres then. You wont need new rims.

·
Registered
14,851 Posts
I wouldn't be in any hurry to fix anything that wasn't broke, unless you're plagued with flat tires tubes aren't such a bad deal.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
The internal shape of the Inferno rims does not make an ideal tubeless setup. It's not that you can't, but there simply isn't a solid bead shelf (they are "U" shaped internally) which means that they would be more susceptible to burping. The Stans kit may or may not help alleviate this issue.

I have have ran Inferno 27 rims tubeless with Gorilla Tape and when pressure got below 30 psi they burped (I'm ~230 geared up), and this was with tubeless ready tires.

YMMV

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I will run my tires till they need replacing, and then cross tubeless decision at that time.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts