Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Currently riding a Salsa Bucksaw with the original Marge Lite rims and Surly Knard 3.0'' but these constantly gets flat and today I've rip of the side wall. Plus, I'm damaging my rims even at 20-25 psi.
Definitely not impress with the Surly Knard.

Wondering what to buy for summer wheels in the 27.5'' or 29'' size with stronger tires like Maxxis Minion DH....

Any suggestions, what and if where ?
Thank you all,

DMarc,

·
since 4/10/2009
34,584 Posts
Hello all,

Currently riding a Salsa Bucksaw with the original Marge Lite rims and Surly Knard 3.0'' but these constantly gets flat and today I've rip of the side wall. Plus, I'm damaging my rims even at 20-25 psi.
Definitely not impress with the Surly Knard.

Wondering what to buy for summer wheels in the 27.5'' or 29'' size with stronger tires like Maxxis Minion DH....

Any suggestions, what and if where ?
Thank you all,

DMarc,
part of your trouble is the fact that you're running 3" tires on 65mm rims. Rims too wide/tires too narrow. Bad combo.

·
turtles make me hot
11,672 Posts
Yep. Something closer to 4" would be much better. HuskerDu, Nate... There's a ton of them.

For summer wheels, have a look at RaceFace Arcs in 40mm laced to Hopes or whatever hub you like. Bontrager makes some excellent 27.5 plus tires.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,584 Posts
Yes, I agree,
Anything you ride to suggest?
Thanks

Envoyé de mon CLT-L04 avec Mtbr.com Forums
I use 26" x 65mm rims on my Bucksaw year round. I have both Husker Dus and Nates that I will use depending on the terrain I'm dealing with. The Husker Dus for more hardpack conditions, and the Nates for snow and more variable summer conditions.

I do not have a separate summer wheelset for it.

Lately, I haven't been riding my Bucksaw as much, though. I got a Guerrilla Gravity Pedalhead 29er that I've been riding a lot this year.

·
This place needs an enema
17,077 Posts
I've built somewhere between several dozen and a hundred+ Bucksaw "summer" wheelsets the past few years.

Just chiming in to note that 29 x 2.5" (or so) wheels/tires are the most often requested, and purchased.

Most (not all) didn't care for the low bottom bracket/pedal strike occurrences when running 27.5 x 3".

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I have everything but 26" wheels for my Bucksaw. 27.5 x 3.8's are what I use in the winter on chunky hardpack trails, and a set of 29er's with Maxxis 2.4's are my three-season wheels. I run a 120 Pike Boost with the 29er's and the bike is a beast and only weighs just a tick over 29 lbs. The plus wheels are nice, but much slower. I gave up 26" wheels for the Bucksaw because my Wozo with a Lauf and Thudbuster is so much faster.

·
Registered
397 Posts
The least expensive option would be to buy some 26x4” Jumbo Jim Tires and use them with your current wheels. The JJ tires will make a big difference.

Lots of folks say that a 27.5+ wheelset will lower the bottom bracket too much. I suppose that could be terrain dependent, but I never had any issues using 27+ on a Turner King Kahn and a Foes Mutz.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I’ve been riding 4.0 on 65mm carbon in the Bucksaw for 4 years through the summers. Hodags, jumbo Jim’s, juggernauts, mammoths. Jumbo Jim is probably the best summer tire for mixed conditions (east coast)

I’m looking for something significantly different myself. Probably 29x2.6-2.8.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've built somewhere between several dozen and a hundred+ Bucksaw "summer" wheelsets the past few years.

Just chiming in to note that 29 x 2.5" (or so) wheels/tires are the most often requested, and purchased.

Most (not all) didn't care for the low
bottom bracket/pedal strike occurrences when running 27.5 x 3".
Which specific wheel set and hubs where you mounting ? There is not too many rear hubs around? WTB / Salsa?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have everything but 26" wheels for my Bucksaw.* 27.5 x 3.8's are what I use in the winter on chunky hardpack trails, and a set of 29er's with Maxxis 2.4's are my three-season wheels.* I run a 120 Pike Boost with the 29er's and the bike is a beast and only weighs just a tick over 29 lbs.* The plus wheels are nice, but much slower.* I gave up 26" wheels for the Bucksaw because my Wozo with a Lauf and Thudbuster is so much faster.
Which set of wheels and hubs you have for the 29er? Thanks for the input,

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.