Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
HeadFishHeadMonger
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm moving to a city where trails aren't close and I won't have any time to drive to any decent trails. I'm going to keep my road bike but need to figure out what to do with my mtn bike (it's a turner so I figured I'd ask here :)).

My question is should I sell the bike complete (Turner Burner, XR rockers, RS Reba, SRAM x.9, Hope/DTSwiss wheelset) and buy a beater OR sell the frame and front shock, and buy a steel frame/fork and move all my components over and have a nice commuter/tooling around bike that I can still take to the trails once in a while?

Thoughts? 3 bikes isn't going to happen because we won't have the space. Riding the burner around town doesn't make any sense (definitely overkill for the train tracks I may have to ride over once in a while :))

Soooooo, thoughts? Sell it whole or just frame/fork? What do people think either would be worth?

I'll post it to MTBR classifieds either way.

Thnx in advance ...

Berardino

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Another option:
You could discuise the Burner as a beater, and take up urban riding.
Are you really going to give up trail riding altogether? If so then yeah, sell the Burner to someone who will give it a good home near the woods. You'll miss it terribly, but when you come to your senses you can get one of the newer models.

Hope you find a happy cycling solution!

·
I think I need to Upgrade
1,620 Posts
Keep the Burner!!!!! You will regret selling it if you do. It is possible to dissassemble it enough to make it easy to store, under the bed perhaps? Start putting together a beater for in town playing that you would be ok with locking up someplace for an hour or two.

·
HeadFishHeadMonger
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bump to get some more suggestions from the daytime crew.

When I get back into riding dirt, I'll pick up a new turner (fluxNG or SpotNG depending on where i live) so keeping the burner for 2-3 years probably doesn't make sense.

thnx

Berardino

·
Registered
413 Posts
Sounds like you're moving to Houston!

Here's what I would do. Keep the Burner frame. For $50 or less, buy a used steel frame in good shape, and transfer the Burner parts over. When you're ready to buy the Flux or Spot, trade the Burner frame in for the $600. This would seem to be the easiest and most cost efficient way to do it. You may not have room for 3 bikes, but you can tuck the Burner frame away anywhere.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Whats drawing you away from living near bike trails. Lets get down to the cause of your problems. Bike swapping remedies are only temporarily gonna relieve the wrath that you'll feel by deserting the divine garden of singletrack.

·
HeadFishHeadMonger
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We're going to move to Carbondale, Illinois. From what I've been told the legal good trails are about an hour drive away, and just won't have time to drive there/back and still get in a good ride more than probably once every month or so. The good news is you can bike commute to pretty much everything, and I've been jonesing for a nice rigid steel framed bike for a while now so the money from selling the turner will go to the new frame/fork.

I can keep the frame but I'm trying to apply the logic of if I don't need it get rid of it. I'm selling my porsche (1984 911 turbo) for the same reason. We're massively downsizing things so that I can take 6 months off and figure out what I want to do next.

Either that or I'll go nuts in 6 months and just come buy a brand new 5 (5.5?) spot. That's ok too :D

Soooooo now that I've decided it's going to go. What does everyone think a 2004 Burner with Float R (propedal) shock and XR rockers is worth? Should be more than $600. The rockers seem to go for $150 alone.

thnx

Berardino

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.