Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
VERY nice, suprised and happy to come across this forum. Just got married, the wife and I decided to start for the fam soon. I honestly havent been on a bike in maybe 15 years. I'm 6'0 and 280-290. Can anyone advise me on where to begin looking for a bike to hold me? What size frame is good for my size? I want to ride on the road, but I like the looks of a mountain bike. Oh.. Kinda on a budget too... not looking to go over $300.00. I've searched the 'Clydesdale and Tall Riders' thread to get some ideas, and ran some of the models through EBay and local shops. Hope this isn't too much to ask for in a bike... Thanks!

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
Congrats on getting married dude! As for what bike, for $300 you're not going to be getting much especially since you're a clyde. I would say look around on your local classifieds, craigslist and such. Look for something along the lines of an AM hardtail...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!
I know for $300 I'm not going to get top of the line - that's okay. I'm kind of blown away at people spending thousands of dollars on a bike. Like I said, it's been a long time since I've been on one. I'm hoping to get on the road, as I'm moving to a more suburban area next month. My goal is to use it for weight loss, and finding a way to make it stationairy for winter time rides indoors.

I guess basically want to know is what models to look for, type of suspension and tires/rims needed to hold me while I ride.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Congrats. A mtn bike is a poor choice for road use. A hybrid looks like a mtn bike but is better suited to road use and light trails. Most of the big names have them. Search your local craigslist. Don't forget to budget a helmet, hydration... You might find some of these thrown in with a bike on CL. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Your frame size should be 18.5 to 20.5 inches, Do not go smaller and definitely do not go bigger than 21. There are lots of bargains on Craigslist in the $300 range. However w you need to stick with the sizing. I also think because of your size think the mountain bike might be a little better than the hybrid or cross bike. Big guys can break spokes pretty easy on some of the 700c hybrid wheels. Heres a couple of slightly older bikes on Craigslist somewhere in your area if they are 19-21 inches might work for you.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/740686362.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.