Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
the air is thin up here..
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Currently I've got the stock Bontrager Race Disc wheels that came on my Fisher ('08 HIfi Deluxe). They've held up fine for my riding style... "Aggressive XC" I guess is what I would say.

I'm 6'6", weigh about 215lbs. 5+ years ago I was into the freeriding scene, got out of that because I wasn't any good (no guts) and kept hurting myself. I flat spotted a POS "Alex" rim, but never came close to hurting the DoubleTrack I replaced it with.

Soo yeah, I'm heavy, but not typically hard on my stuff.

So the story is I got a new job and was considering picking up a Cyclocross bike for commuting (and riding CC :)). I've since changed my mind and am now toying with the idea of building up a new set of rims for offroad, allowing me to throw some high pressure city tires on my stock Bontragers for commuting.

I'd love to drop some weight off the bike too. Currently it's around 28lbs w/ pedals, I believe my wheels weigh around 2000 grams. I'd also love more POE. The ~28 I've got now have bothered me, I know I'd love more.

I've been looking at the Industry Nine "All Mountain" wheels. They make me drool. Price is a bit of an issue, but I'm affiliated with a bike shop here in town, so I can get pretty good prices.

So the I9's with DT 4.2D's weigh around 1600gm. I'm open to lacing my own wheels as well, but I can't seem to build anything close to that weight. I'm using the "speedgoat dot com" wheel builder.

DT Swiss 4.2d rims on a front Hope Pro II hub and rear King ISO hub is apparently around 1800+ grams... not a whole lot of savings. I'd also love to use the I9 "classic" hub, but it weighs more than the Kings!

I guess I'm just looking for general advice/suggestions. There are so many rims/hubs out there, and it's tough to know what's "strong enough".

Also, what kind of spokes should I use? The DT Super Comps? Are the "aerolite" too fragile?

Rims I've looked at thus far: Mavic 717, 819 (too heavy), Stans ZTR 355 (too weak?), Stans Arch (seems good?), DT 4.2d's

Summary:
Weight: fairly important
Hubs: Disc, >72 POE for rear
Rims: Fairly strong (I'm 215 lbs but dont' typically break stuff). Tubeless please.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi,

I'm looking at a very similar set of wheels to you. I think I've got it right

I was thinking of Hope pro 2 or XTR hubs, they seem to be some of the best value, reliable and all that good stuff.

I worked out that XTR hubs (QR15 front 176g, rear QR 270g, DT 2.0-1.8 spokes x 64 382g, rim 2x395, alloy nipples 20g ) with mavic 717s work will be about 1638g excluding rim tape and possibly centre lock adapters (+~60+10g). How much do 12 bolts weight anyway?.

same as above with pro 2 works out at about 1670g, exclding rim tape and rotor bolts.

the Pro 2 with DT 4.2 is going to be around an additional 10g so 1680 ish

I'm getting to like the last option myself. Red hubs, black spokes, red nipples and the white edition 4.2 rims. That'll look sweet too

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
At your weight I would be hesitant to recommend 4.2s or 717 if you want them to last longer than a year. The minimum I would go would be Stan Arches. If you want a light wheelset set you could go with Dt Swiss 240s, Supercomps, and Stan Arches. Should come out to about 1600 grams and be aggressive XC strong.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Pothole seeker said:
how much weight do the super comps drop when compared to the regular comp? 40/50g?...
Ya about that much according to dt swiss
Pothole seeker said:
...are they more flexible? I've always read that the revelations should only be put on race wheels really
Dependent on rider weight and smoothness of both the rider and terrain. If weight is # consideration over flex and strength revos are a way to go. If you want both light weight and strength Sapim Xrays are an option they are strong, light, and not cheap.

·
I think I need to Upgrade
1,620 Posts
Ratt said:
At your weight I would be hesitant to recommend 4.2s or 717 if you want them to last longer than a year. The minimum I would go would be Stan Arches. If you want a light wheelset set you could go with Dt Swiss 240s, Supercomps, and Stan Arches. Should come out to about 1600 grams and be aggressive XC strong.
I am going to have to dissagree with you there on the 4.2s as well as the 717s. I weigh about 215 with gear and I live in AZ, all we ride here are rocks, sand and more rocks. We are mean to our wheels out here, and I am running 4.1s laced with Supercomps to King hubs and I have run the 717s with the same good luck, it is all in how well the wheels are built. These wheels have been going strong and true for 3 years now with no issues other than I will NEVER use Supercomp spokes again, they are horrible when it comes to flex!! The weight savings you get is not worth it in my opinion, stick with the DT Comp or equivelent spokes, you will be happier.

·
Registered
214 Posts
very interesting about the supercomp spokes. How are you diagnosing that they are flexing at the spoke and not the rim or hub? I have flex in my current rear wheel it's 4 seasons old(coming from the hub though). I'm going to build a new set and was kicking around the Idea of supercomps. Thanks

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
AzSpeedfreek said:
I am going to have to dissagree with you there on the 4.2s as well as the 717s. I weigh about 215 with gear and I live in AZ, all we ride here are rocks, sand and more rocks. We are mean to our wheels out here, and I am running 4.1s laced with Supercomps to King hubs and I have run the 717s with the same good luck, it is all in how well the wheels are built. These wheels have been going strong and true for 3 years now with no issues other than I will NEVER use Supercomp spokes again, they are horrible when it comes to flex!! The weight savings you get is not worth it in my opinion, stick with the DT Comp or equivelent spokes, you will be happier.
AZ that is more to do with your smoothness as a rider, now if you are doing Goat Camp weekly on 717s then I am totally off base here.

I am not a clydesdale but if you post '717 for aggressive xc riding' in that forum I am sure you will get a few people saying they are fine but the majority will say no.

Using the same hub I had 717 with Wheelsmith db14 spokes tensioned to about 130 kfg and Stan Arches with Supercomps tensioned to 100 kfg, the wheel with the Arches felt and were (had tire rub with the 717) about twice as stiff.

I will admit the first time I laced with Supercomps I could have sworn the shop gave me Revos, they are that much more flexible in your hand than standard double butts 14s. At my weight (175 lbs) they don't feel flexy for trail riding, ymmv.

·
the air is thin up here..
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the help and opinions! I appreciate it. Keep em coming!

Right now I'm thinking: Arch + SuperComp. With this setup, weight is between 1620 with 240s, and 1720 with i9... with King/Pro II somewhere in between. Not bad I'm thinking :)

I've got another question: How are my stock Bontragers in terms of strength/flex (for comparisons sake)? I can't find a rim cross-section, so I have no idea what the design is. Is there a resource somewhere that will break down the hub/spoke/rim specs of Bontrager/etc stuff?

·
1,620 Posts
Ratt said:
AZ that is more to do with your smoothness as a rider, now if you are doing Goat Camp weekly on 717s then I am totally off base here.

I am not a clydesdale but if you post '717 for aggressive xc riding' in that forum I am sure you will get a few people saying they are fine but the majority will say no.

Using the same hub I had 717 with Wheelsmith db14 spokes tensioned to about 130 kfg and Stan Arches with Supercomps tensioned to 100 kfg, the wheel with the Arches felt and were (had tire rub with the 717) about twice as stiff.
You will have to forgive me and re-fresh my memory, exactly when was it that we rode together so you could judge my riding abilities and skill level? Because for some reason I can't remember.

As for Goat Camp, I wouldn't think of riding it with 717s on my bike. Wrong gear for that job. As for XC, agressive XC or starting to get into AM then the 717 will do the job, maybe on the lighter side but they will still do the job. The DT 4.2s are capable of that job, if you have done your homework, you would know that the 4.2 while being close to the same weight as the 717 is actualy build more stout, it has a wider profile and is designed for this type of riding.

In regards to the SuperComp spokes, if you are a lighter (less than 170lbs) rider you may be fine, but weigh more than that and they are going to allow way too much flex in the wheel to be a good solid ride especialy when it comes to changing direction such as a corner, curve, or picking the smooth twisty line through a rock garden.

·
1,620 Posts
Milkman said:
very interesting about the supercomp spokes. How are you diagnosing that they are flexing at the spoke and not the rim or hub? I have flex in my current rear wheel it's 4 seasons old(coming from the hub though). I'm going to build a new set and was kicking around the Idea of supercomps. Thanks
I have run the current/similar setup with Comp spokes before, and I figured that I would try to drop a little more weight in the wheels by going with Supercomps, and I have regreted it ever since. I am also running them at the upper tension limit (I started lower and worked my way up) for their diameter according to the park tensiometer and tension chart, which is also higher than I have run the Comps at and had the Comps feel, ride and corner better and stiffer which means more precise steering and less deflection off of rocks also.

·
Registered
15 Posts
G'day guys,
Following the discussion with interest.
Reason for interest is to help a riding buddy make an informed choice.
He rides a '07 Giant Anthem1 Large size. He is over 6 feet tall and weighs in about 85kg or 191pounds. This year he has destroyed his stock wheel - Mavic 317 with DT Swiss hub (don't much matter which type now because he stuffed it really well!)
He wanted to get C'Max SLR. Another mate & I advised him, based on how much equipment he breaks, to get C'Max ST. I think at the time I jokingly suggested that he get DeeMax.
Anyway, less than six months later, he puts a log through his rear triangle driveside spokes. No kidding - this log was about eight feet long and 3 inches across at its widest point. Bent 8 spokes, broke one. Now he's reporting that he has developed a 'flat spot' on his rear rim.

I can't figure it out.
I ride the same model Anthem, run C'Max SL. I'm 5'8" and weigh 95kg (214lb). We ride the same tracks, the same events. Yet I replace parts when I wear them out. He replaces parts because he has killed them.
And yes, he does ride 'heavy'. He uses bike suspension rather than combination of bike & body to go over/through/around obstacles encountered on your average trail.

So firstly, my thanks. The discussion has been helpful.
And a question: any advice for an XC enduro/24 hour racer that manages to kill wheels?

All the best for the New Year,
Bear

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.