Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a Niterider 13.2V dual beam halogen light with a dead battery. I'm considering converting to an dual LED instead of just replacing the battery (which is pretty expensive). I'm looking for advice on a simple conversion. The trickest part is finding the correct diameter for the replacement optics. My current halogen lights are 35mm in diameter, but I think that I can make a 38mm optic work (with a little filing on the housing). I've found reflectors only, but cannot find any flat lenses. I've also found some optics from Cutter. Here is what I'm considering so far.

SSC P7 C-Bin LED Emitter with 21mm Heat Sink Base (900lm)
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12721

WITH

Regulated CV/CC 5-Mode LED Driver Circuit Board for Cree MC-E/SSC P7 Emitters
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.20329

(Would prefer a three mode but cannot find one.)

AND

Iris MCE Optic (one Spot and one Medium)
http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut898

For power, I'm thinking of two 3.7V 2800mAh li-ion in parallel per light for long runtime.

Haven't identified a switch yet.

I'd basically re-use the housing from the Niterider, but replace everything else.

Has anyone built something similar? Does this sound like it'll work? Any advice is appreciated. With kids, I don't have a lot of time so want to keep things simple.

Also, I'm sure this info is here somewhere on the forum, but did I mention the kids and very little time situation? Thanks in advance.

·
One Gear
1,078 Posts
There are several guys who would like to reuse their old Niterider light. However, they are usually made out of derlin or plastic. The LED's must have an external heat sink to remove the heat that they generate. The "heatsink" listed in the P7 is more of a convienent mouting method than a heatsink.

You can build a 3x XPG light out of aluminum tube from Home Depot easy and cheap. If you want a lot of light, then build a double. I have kids too and usually spend about half an hour after they go to bed working on the light. It's a couple of simple steps with waiting for something to cure in between. It's not hard, and it's not a lot of sleep lost.

Good luck

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
kleinhead said:
I'm considering converting to an dual LED instead of just replacing the battery (which is pretty expensive)....
With kids, I don't have a lot of time so want to keep things simple.
IMO you'll spend less money and way less time by getting a Magicshine from Geoman than a DIY light.

If you decide to do a DIY light here are a few things to revisit on your shopping list. Your selection of an Iris optic and a SSC P7 does not match. I don't recall if I have ever seen an Iris on a P7 beamshot but usually mounting an optic designed for a specific LED on a different LED does not work well. The two 3.7V 2800mAh batteries you spec will only give you ~1 hour on high with a dual P7 light.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.