Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

My name is Jacob and am new to this forum. I used to ride BMX when I was a teenager. However, I and am looking for a new mountain bike. I live around asphalt but am close to country riding (hills, rough terrain).

1) Your budget. How much do you have to spend on the bicycle (not including accessories such as helmet, gloves and other accessories).

Under $500.00

2) What bikes, if any, are you already considering? (Please try to limit the selection to a handful if at all possible, and provide links to those bikes. Remember, we don't always know the exact specs of all the bikes out there!)

Diamondback Recoil Full Suspension Mountain Bike (26-Inch Wheels)
3) What type of riding do you intend to do? (e.g. Cross Country, Freeride, Downhill, paved paths)

Paved paths a little, mostly riding trails in the country.

4) Do you have a preference over a hardtail or full suspension?

full suspension

5) Age, weight and height. (In many instances very important for a variety of reasons).

25, 165, 5'11

6) What sources will you consider buying from? (e.g. Your Local Bike Shop, online vendors, or used bike sources such as mtbr classifieds, craigslist, ebay and others)

Online only pretty much but will go into a local store. i would like one that is new.

7) Do you want people to offer you alternative suggestions to issues such as budget, bikes already considered, and sources?

Yes

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
At your price point I would suggest a hard tail , full suspension bikes at this level tend to have less than desirable component picks . Since I dont know your experience level I have to suggest your local bike shop [LBS] so that you can get the proper size . Fit is the most important consideration , if it fits poorly chances are you wont ride it .

·
Registered
181 Posts
I agree, stick with a hardtail. Any full suspension at that price point would be more trouble than its worth. Heavy, cheap build kit, etc. It would be hard to get a decent used full suspension at that price, although it can be done if you know what you are looking for.

·
Ride the dream
1,381 Posts
Generally speaking, under 1000$ you don't even think about fullsus.
Even (relatively) basic singlepivots will be compromised at that price.

When you're talkin 500$ (which you are) there is simply no question, for a decent bike you're looking at hardtails.

At your age (considering you're pretty much bang-on [BMI-wise] weightwise) you simply dont need fs even for comfort. You shouldn't be insanely unfit at that weight/height ratio and you should'nt need to worry about hardtails being uncomfortable.

If you're worried about trail-feedback (that being: how much of the roughness of the trail you actually feel) then perhaps consider a decent steel frame (well, as decent as is possible on your limited budget).
Steel will absorb the bumps/vibrations more than aluminium will, but will be slightly heavier (for given application/pricepoint) - unless you're bothered by lacking a bit of the "snappy" accleration that stiffer alu frames give, this might be your best option (if you can find something to suit).

Even used, hardtail is probably the way to look at your pricepoint.

In short - look at hardtails for the money you're talking about.

Ps: apologies for any typos, lots of beer in the system ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys!

Okay, I think I'm gonna stick with a hard tail. I got fitted for a 18 at my local bike store. Looking at the trek 3500 (no disc brakes), but I really want disc brakes! Are they really that nice to have? the 3500 is 320. also looking at the k2 4.4 zed at sports authority for 390. that has disc brakes and front suspension. they also offer a service plan that SEEMS to be the bomb.

I need ideas on what bike to buy! any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.