Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, first post:)

I will do my best to explain my problem, but bare with me because I probably wont do it very well. And its a fairly complicated one involving a lot of different decisions and questions, I know a fair amount, and Ive been reading up -but Im not massively clued up on parts - I just pedal :D

-

I probably do about 80 miles a week on road, and ride up in the hills at the weekends - but Im not flying off huge jumps with heavy landings when Im there so I dont need to consider unbreakable components.

I have a Giant Terrago hardtail from about 2008, and some parts of it are starting to get tired, as its had a huge amount of use. Its not the best bike in the world, but its durable, and serves its purpose, and and i love the frame & overall ride.

The hydraulic brakes on it are knackered and are constantly needing bleeding because the dot fluid expands in hot weather! so I was going to replace them with Shimano XT M785s, for £130. And possibly new rotors at the same time if it will make enough difference?

My fork and wheelset is stock to, so I was going to upgrade to some airshocks, probably rock shox 30 Gold Tk for £200.

But then when I arrived at wheels I discovered the problem, that the frame I love and adore... has old dropouts for 9mm qr, and theres about 3 newer hub sizes, that are all better than 9mm, which is seemingly being phased out :/

Say I stick with 9mm and get 2014 mavic crossones wheelset, with the other parts. Thats the best part of £500 on upgrading my bike,

Now..I dont NEED a new bike, but Im questioning if Im better suited to spending £1000+ on getting a new one that adheres to all these new standards, and will probably come with similar parts that Im looking at with my upgrades.

But at the same time, I feel like a lot of that money I might spend on a new bike, is effectively unnecessarily replacing the other parts(frame,drivetrain,bars,stem,headset etc etc etc) which I already have, which dont need replacing on my Giant.

Just loads of questions I know, but Im just stuck. I think running 9mm is fine for what I do, but I can see the benefits of a new ride- just need to balance that out with cost etc etc

If you made it this far....
let me know what you think :D

·
29ers Forever
2021 Rocky Mountain Altitude A70
3,425 Posts
Shimano XT brakes are excellent value. If your brakes are indeed fading, that is what you should replace first.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shimano XT brakes are excellent value. If your brakes are indeed fading, that is what you should replace first.
Thanks dude, Ive still not decided which route I will go down, but theyre definetley the brakes Im getting If I stick with my Giant. Will it be worth getting new rotors too?

Ive been looking at a Cube Ltd SL 29er 2014, for £1200 if I do get a new bike

·
Registered
166 Posts
$1,700 dollars upgrading a 6 year old bike?

If it was me, I'd skip the upgrades and start looking at a new ride. 1,200 pounds will buy a nice new bike with better components, just my $.02.

·
29ers Forever
3,425 Posts
Thanks dude, Ive still not decided which route I will go down, but theyre definetley the brakes Im getting If I stick with my Giant. Will it be worth getting new rotors too?

Ive been looking at a Cube Ltd SL 29er 2014, for £1200 if I do get a new bike
If you can afford it, by all means go for the Cube. It will be a better bike all around (and it has 29" wheels).

·
Wēk Sôs
3,210 Posts
New bike in that price will have lower spec than what you are looking at for replacement parts.

Rear is 10mm, front is 9mm.

I would go new bike, as your drivetrain is probably dead or dying and needs replacement rings, cassette and chain too. Your brake problem is not due to DOT, and minor temp change does not affect it. It is due to seals gone bad. I use both DOT and mineral oil brake systems.

If you want XT brakes you'll have to upgrade yourself or get a higher end bike, like the cube reaction sl 29.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
New bike in that price will have lower spec than what you are looking at for replacement parts.

Rear is 10mm, front is 9mm.

I would go new bike, as your drivetrain is probably dead or dying and needs replacement rings, cassette and chain too. Your brake problem is not due to DOT, and minor temp change does not affect it. It is due to seals gone bad. I use both DOT and mineral oil brake systems.

If you want XT brakes you'll have to upgrade yourself or get a higher end bike, like the cube reaction sl 29.
Oooohhh right, I just assumed it was the weather screwing the brakes up because they only seem to mess up during summer :D

(about the parts) Really? arent those forks & wheels good?

Its not that I have to use XTs, they are just what I would choose If I replaced mine. Im sure those ones on the cube would be fine

·
Registered
149 Posts
To best know your options for brakes, you should find out if your hubs are 6 bolt or center lock compatible. If they are centerlock, then XT could work for your actual wheels. If they are 6 bolt hubs, I would recommend Avid BB7 mechanical brakes, as they require no bleeding, are super easy to adjust by Joe Bloe and require no maintenance past replacing pads and initial alighment. Run about 60$ each on a good deal w/rotor! You can use any mechanical lever. I like Speed dial levers for adjustability and low cost. XT calipers and rotors work exceptionally well from a stopping and lever feel standpoint, but will eventually require some bleeding and they also use oil...something I hear you want to get away from. They also cost more $, but your current levers MAY work with them, though the BB7s are so cheap that any savings you may accrue on the levers with XT, will cost you more on the XT calipers. Ask your local bike shop and please buy some parts from them or at least pay them well for their labor and expertise; something you usually can't find over the web. Bike shops are losing out to online businesses, but where will you bring your bike when it craps out? I'm a bike sales guy who's shimano platinum tech certified and has built about 2000 bikes, fixes his own yada yada. Hope this helps. Keep us updated.

·
29ers Forever
3,425 Posts
To best know your options for brakes, you should find out if your hubs are 6 bolt or center lock compatible. If they are centerlock, then XT could work for your actual wheels. If they are 6 bolt hubs, I would recommend Avid BB7 mechanical brakes, as they require no bleeding, are super easy to adjust by Joe Bloe and require no maintenance past replacing pads and initial alighment. Run about 60$ each on a good deal w/rotor! You can use any mechanical lever. I like Speed dial levers for adjustability and low cost. XT calipers and rotors work exceptionally well from a stopping and lever feel standpoint, but will eventually require some bleeding and they also use oil...something I hear you want to get away from. They also cost more $, but your current levers MAY work with them, though the BB7s are so cheap that any savings you may accrue on the levers with XT, will cost you more on the XT calipers. Ask your local bike shop and please buy some parts from them or at least pay them well for their labor and expertise; something you usually can't find over the web. Bike shops are losing out to online businesses, but where will you bring your bike when it craps out? I'm a bike sales guy who's shimano platinum tech certified and has built about 2000 bikes, fixes his own yada yada. Hope this helps. Keep us updated.
XT brakes use mineral oil, better than the Avid hydros. The XTs are so easy to bleed, and are a lot easier to bleed than the Avids. XT brakes are the ones to buy, not some cheap mechanical brakes.
I know because I have bikes with both BB7 and XT, and XT is a lot more powerful.

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
XT brakes use mineral oil, better than the Avid hydros. The XTs are so easy to bleed, and are a lot easier to bleed than the Avids. XT brakes are the ones to buy, not some cheap mechanical brakes.
I know because I have bikes with both BB7 and XT, and XT is a lot more powerful.
Your posts lack depth and experience....all I'm reading is just regurgitated info you find on product reviews online.

·
29ers Forever
3,425 Posts
Your posts lack depth and experience....all I'm reading is just regurgitated info you find on product reviews online.
I have bled XT brakes. It IS very simple. My Avid Elixir brakes sucked and now they're on my spare Mtb and I'll have to bleed those too. The BB7s are better than Tektro Novelas (stock on my 3700), but not nearly as strong or nice as my XTs are. This is all from personal experience.

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
I have bled XT brakes. It IS very simple. My Avid Elixir brakes sucked and now they're on my spare Mtb and I'll have to bleed those too. The BB7s are better than Tektro Novelas (stock on my 3700), but not nearly as strong or nice as my XTs are. This is all from personal experience.
But you are comparing some of the lowest end Avid hydros to your XTs. Doesn't make much sense.

Using the same logic, a Ferrari is much better than a Honda. I would know. I have internet and read stuff.

:madman:

·
Registered
149 Posts
The best brakes are the ones that fit the rider's SPECIFIC needs.

They can both work. They can both need new pads. They can both use different pad compounds. They can both be aligned/misaligned. I'm glad you like yours. If either don't work, it's because that particular unit was deffective, installed improperly, inadequaltely maintained/neglected or chosen by someone who failed to do the research and it's relevance to their own riding needs. It all depends on what you need as a rider - in regards to product choice. Do not assume other riders have your needs unless you're cool being accurate on the roll of a dice. We are all special f+cking snowflakes ok?! :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts