Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just started riding in the last year and I need advice on what shorts to buy. The pair I have now are Pearl Isumi brand with (rather thick) orange chamois. The chamois seems to cover a much larger area than what actually contacts the seat and it is very hot. I need some better air flow down there! What do you recommend for hot and humid climates? I do want some padding, but also something that doesn't make me feel like there is a pool of sweat in my shorts when I'm done. Thanks for any advice you can give!:???:

·
Moist and Delicious
555 Posts
I've been riding Oakley's, and they seem to breathe pretty well. Never any complaints here, but then again, I've always loved my Pearls as well.

Obviously, YMMV, but you might want to check out the Oakley's.

·
Freeriding Feline
2,548 Posts
Fox?

I'm so into Fox stuff.
There are a couple of 3/4 length shorts I wanted to try. I think one was just reviewed in the last MTBAction.

·
Go Lakers!
233 Posts
Rumpled said:
I've been looking at two shorts from Terry.
http://www.terrybicycles.com/detail.html?item_no=1842&c=Apparel
http://www.terrybicycles.com/detail.html?item_no=1852&c=Apparel

They claim that the "Flex Air Chamois" has good ventilation. Does anyone have experience with these?
I just purchased some Terry spandex shorts with the high waist. I have not tried them yet but I hope to give them a try this weekend. I bought them on clearance. I will let you know how they are after I try them.

·
Registered
166 Posts
nasai said:
I've been riding Oakley's, and they seem to breathe pretty well. Never any complaints here, but then again, I've always loved my Pearls as well.

Obviously, YMMV, but you might want to check out the Oakley's.
Just bought a pair of Oakley's myself. Haven't had a chance to give 'em a ride yet. :( But they seem really light and I love the feel of them.

Last year I bought a pair of ZOIC knickers. I love the liner! The knickers are good too. Of course they switched the design, and I'm not overly thrilled with the new look. But I'll highly recommend their liner. :thumbsup:

I'm looking at picking up a pair of shorts from Harlot. Not sure about the "breathable" factor... maybe some of the other ladies who already have them could chime in.

·
Registered
922 Posts
This statement bothers me.

Rumpled said:
but also something that doesn't make me feel like there is a pool of sweat in my shorts when I'm done. :
Always get out of your bike shorts ASAP. Always bring something to change into for after the ride and/or the drive home.

It's 100 degrees or more almost every day for after work rides here so hot sweaty shorts cannot be avoided.

When road riding, and sitting more, it gets really hot down there, so I learned how to stand a little and use the nose of the saddle to move the chamois slightly to redirect the airflow to cool off the girlie parts. On the mountain bike its a little trickier.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Eirene said:
I'm looking at picking up a pair of shorts from Harlot. Not sure about the "breathable" factor... maybe some of the other ladies who already have them could chime in.
Harlot has been a Ride Like A Girl sponsor for two years now. Last year they gave us a pair of shorts to raffle away. Sorry I don't remember the model, but those shorts were a HOT comidity and highly bargained for among a group of 40 women who all wanted them.

It was Pretty Cool to watch.

I don't think the Harlot shorts have been raffled yet this year.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CycleMainiac said:
This statement bothers me.

What is it about the statement that bothers you?

I do always change out of my riding shorts ASAP when done and I do realize that no shorts with padding will be completely cool. I stand some when I can to get airflow, but the chamios seems to block off most of the airflow. Some shorts must be better than others for riding in hot weather - right? Should I just be looking for shorts with less padding?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.