Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Do it for Deegan
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So tomorrow im going to be cutting my RD cable housing and cable to length and I have the problem of not having old cable/housing that I can borrow size from to make thing easy and simple. Especially because im not using the original cable route. I would like to get your 2 cents if my new cable route idea is good/bad or "hell no dont do that, your cable will be useless in that route". So My bike used to have a standard exposed cable bottom bracket route and to keep things clean simple and more rugged I want to change the route to fully enclosed and down the top tube and seat stay. My bike has three brake line mounts on the top tube that I was going to used to share the brake line and the RD line so the RD cable is going to start by coming out of the shifter going on the left side of the frame then down the top tube and go on the right side of the frame when it gets to the seat post. So basically a mirror image of the rear brake line route except it wont have mounts for the seat stay so im going to use a zip tie at the top and bottom of the seat stay. So is this a good route? Also when I cut it how forgiving is it? As long as the bars turning doesnt affect the cable then does it need to be cut to the cm or will I have an inch or two to play with?

·
High Desert MTBer
5,468 Posts
I am not a bike engineer nor a bike mechanic, but I ride and work on my bikes all the time. Your idea does sound logical, and as rangeriderdave says, it should work as long as there are no kinks etc. However, I am skeptical of the zip ties on the seat stays and whether this setup would affect tension at all, and the precision of the indexing. What I cannot help but think is that the bike manufacturers would have come up with this idea if it were workable. The RD setup is a fickle thing, and the most minor of changes can affect the shifting greatly. I would be interested to hear if this does work, as I am sure would many manufacturers, but be ready for disappointment!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.