Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was putting in my new bushings on my xce, and discovered a hairline crack in a weld where the bottom bracket/shock mount piece connects to the seat tube. (sorry for the crappy pics, but my camera can't take closeups at all)

main pic of bike and location
shot 1
shot 2

so, i guess i have a couple questions:

is this something to worry about? probably? it kind of bums me out because mainly, i didn't buy it new, so i am assuming i am screwed for any type of help from turner. and besides, i can't get the front end replaced anyway - i don't think any current front ends are compatible with this bike. i'm going to keep riding it i guess, but when it totally fails is the fate of this bike is that it's going to be parted out on mtbr? (xr rockers, horst linkage, brand new bushings)

i figure i would ask here instead of turner, because like i said, i bought it used, not new.

thanks for any advice.

colin

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Turner will give you 600 bucks for it in a trade in

xcolin said:
I was putting in my new bushings on my xce, and discovered a hairline crack in a weld where the bottom bracket/shock mount piece connects to the seat tube. (sorry for the crappy pics, but my camera can't take closeups at all)

main pic of bike and location
shot 1
shot 2

so, i guess i have a couple questions:

is this something to worry about? probably? it kind of bums me out because mainly, i didn't buy it new, so i am assuming i am screwed for any type of help from turner. and besides, i can't get the front end replaced anyway - i don't think any current front ends are compatible with this bike. i'm going to keep riding it i guess, but when it totally fails is the fate of this bike is that it's going to be parted out on mtbr? (xr rockers, horst linkage, brand new bushings)

i figure i would ask here instead of turner, because like i said, i bought it used, not new.

thanks for any advice.

colin
So, that's something at least.

Dave

·
~~~~~~~~
5,937 Posts
pure speculation here....
but, if Turner has been taking some Burners in trade, maybe they can work something out to swap you for one of those.

·
CURB HUCK!!!!!!
492 Posts
major major suckage
good luck with it, it looks like it should last you a good time longer but I'm not sure turners going to be of much help for you but it wouldn't hurt to ask if they still have any front ends of the bike

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
front triangle

Won't that rear end fit the new bikes? I think if you get a new front triangle and rockers you will be good to go. Turner is usually really good about crash replacements. They might sell you a front triangle at a major discount in exchange for the old one. Then you would also have to buy the rockers. Might be a good chance to upgrade to a 5spot.

Good Luck!
TG

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the replies. i'll contact turner; doesn't hurt to ask i guess. and i guess the rear end will fit new bikes, but after a i buy a new shock/rockers/front end, well it's pretty much a whole new frame and i'm not sure if that would end up being cheaper than just getting a brand new complete frame. and besides, i bought this thing because I like the idea of a strong 4" frame, which they don't make anymore - it suits me and my riding perfectly.

cheers

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
G-AIR said:
Won't that rear end fit the new bikes? I think if you get a new front triangle and rockers you will be good to go. Turner is usually really good about crash replacements. They might sell you a front triangle at a major discount in exchange for the old one. Then you would also have to buy the rockers. Might be a good chance to upgrade to a 5spot.

Good Luck!
TG
g-spot has the best idea yet. but 1st, lemme back up a bit. i feel yer pain and what a drag this is.gotta feel crappy to say the least. ridin a cracked frame is a invitation to possible multi component failure of injury. its my strong suggestion you reconsider spendin more trail time on it.

as others have said, turner is over the top cool about helpin folks stay on their bikes and creating solid custys in 2nd hand situations such as yers. dont quote me but i think the xce rear is at least compatable with the new front tri's though the geo might be a gnats ass off. replace the front and keep the rear for somewhere between 3 or 4 hun worth of credit maybe. theres been some talk on here of this same kinda thing recently so a little research will do ya well as will a call to turner.

theres nuthin wrong with spendin the extra cash with the $600 trade in for a whole new frame but if cash is tight and compatability is what i think it is, ya have a solid out. best of luck and stay in touch.

·
\|/Home of the Braves\|/
1,926 Posts
I'll 3rd that. Clearly call up Turner and see what your options are. What you do depends on your cash flow situation, what kind of terrain you ride, what you want out of a bike, etc. At the least you have the trade in working for you. Now may be a good time to ask yourself where you really want to go with a bike. You'll really have two options that could fit you - Spot or Flux. I have no clue if your rear will work with one of those front triangles and what the travel would be. There do seem to be plenty of folks hammering their Fluxes and there are also folks (like me) with a more XC build on their Spot. Best of luck with your choices.
Oh, CC's right. Don't ride that thing knowing there's a crack in it. I'd rather wait to ride due to getting a new frame than rehab.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah i've sent an email describing the whole situation. I'll update the thread for future reference when I find out what the outcome will be.

And yeah, you folks are right, it would be best not to ride it. Good news is that I always keep my hardtail frame around for just such occasions, and it doesn't take long to swap the parts on. presto chango

Thanks all

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah i've sent an email describing the whole situation. I'll update the thread for future reference when I find out what the outcome will be.

And yeah, you folks are right, it would be best not to ride it. Good news is that I always keep my hardtail frame around for just such occasions, and it doesn't take long to swap the parts on.

presto chango

Thanks all

·
dog's best friend
699 Posts
Ouch!

Hey Colin,

I realize that it's been a while since I sold you the frame but if there is anything I can do to help let me know!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts