Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just starting to race amateur DH, only a couple races under my belt. The trails I ride have sand, mud and big rocks. The sandy & muddy parts are the main problem beacuse i keep getting stuff in my eyes.

Also, the DH trails are 80% in the jungle so its quite shady & dark. Would clear lenses be the best solution? I hear that certain color lenses like orange actually sort of make things clearer in the dark. I live in a tropical climate, about 35 deg C in the daytime (i think), really hot, humid & damp, so i'm looking for goggles that won't fog up easily. Any recommendations?

thanks for your input.

·
Freeriding Feline
2,548 Posts
Adidas

Hi:
I just got the Adidas Yodai goggles from www.jensonusa.com. $90 and they're awesome. I used them for snowboarding too. They don't fog and have a light tint so they're not too dark. I think you can replace the lenses too if you want.

·
Sedona, Az USA
1,036 Posts
$90 ?? are you kidding. wow

go to your local motorcross shop and buy whatever they have on sale. get clear lens'. goggles are easily lost, crushed and broken so do not spend alot of money on them.

I got a set of sweet SPY goggles on sale for $19.00 (i bought 2 pair)

joel

·
Registered
429 Posts
Goggles...

I agree; $90 for goggles is a joke! I'm not too sure why the Adidas goggles are $90, but you can get goggles of equal quality for a lot less money. I prefer Oakley goggles for around $30-40. However, you can pick up a pair of Smith goggles for about $20. Here is a link for my local moto shop; if you live in the San Fernando Valley area, check out GMO. It's actually an outlet, so you can get some pretty smoking deals there sometimes--here is a link to their Website...

http://gmo1.com/site/search.cfm?searchtype=Keywords&Catalog=47&search=goggles

·
Freeriding Feline
2,548 Posts
Uuummmm

Um, they're $90 because...they...are....good?
That way I won't be breaking cheap ones every week and wind up paying more for five pairs of $20 goggles.
Can't skimp on equipment, especially for protection.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Check the Motorcycle Shop

I use $40 Pro-Grip goggles from the local motorcycle shop. They make a pair that changes from slightly tinted to clear very quickly. Make sure they're fog-resistant if it's humid there.

Most goggles will crush your sinuses and restrict airflow. I cut a slot out of the foam for my nose with scissors on every new pair. Dust doesn't get in, and you can breath much better.

:cool:

Oh, yea. They ALL get scratched and funked up and need to be replaced periodically so don't spend too much...

·
Innovate or die!
702 Posts
hmm

yeah,
Adidas yodai goggles are the best in the business by far if you are willing to choke on the $110 MSRP. Never Fogged. Never. Even @ sand hill racing in 90 degree weather with sweat running down my chin. By far best optics in industry, thats why they are expensive- Full lateral and vertical vision, and rounded lens has no distortion in any size shape or form. You learn to be nice to goggles when you fall in love with them. For example, throwing goggles in a bag with no case is for stupid boys that wipe with dollar bills. Have a Troy Lee designs helmet? Same goes here-- you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
First, get a front fender (THE dual-sport or Marzocchi). It will keep most of the crap out of your eyes. You can use either sunglasses or goggles. I prefer sunglasses on my bicycle, goggles on my motorcycle. Sunglasses will not cut your nose in a crash with a full-face helmet. Oakley goggles are absolute garbage in humid environments because they fog so easily. Go to the moto shop and get some goggles that have a sticker on the lens saying "Anti-Fog". I run Scott moto goggles, about $30-40 a pair, excellent anti-fog. If you need more ventilation, rip out the foam above and below the lens.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so i got my goggles...

Hey thanks for all that input. I went to a motorbike shop & got a pair of Smith SMEs. (I might have paid too much though).

They worked out alrite for my race. It was raining so everything was pretty damp - my goggles would fog up if I stood still but clear up once I started moving. Oh well, who wears goggles while standing still anyway right?

At any rate, they did their job by keeping the mud & sand out of my eyes, and I strapped a mudguard to my downtube for some extra protection too. They fit real snug too, now I just need to worry about riding into a branch or something and scratching the lens!

·
Registered
724 Posts
Well although I am sponsored by Spy I have to say out of all the goggles I have tried they are by far superior. They never fog even at slow speeds. I recommend you get the alloy mx goggles with a blue or yellow lense with posts and antifog. They have a coating which prevents fogging. The blue or yellow lense will bring out the details much better. I have come to really like them when riding under trees as they help alot with shadows. The posts allow you to put a tearoff ontop of the goggle. I reccommend that you always run one because it will prevent you from scratching your lense and if the lense becomes too dirty you can just pull it off.
This would work great for your situation.

·
where's the kick stand?
674 Posts
sorry to steal your thread, but does anyone remeber the thread a while ago about the goggles with a flip up lense thing? I search but couldn't find it, so was wondering if anyone knows a website or something so I can check 'em out. thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.