Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I recently purchased a Giant Trance X 29er 0 to go alongside my XTC Composite 2 which has various upgrades. I cant decide whether to swap some of the upgraded parts from the XTC to the Trance X?

The XTC has the following parts which I am debating on fitting to the trance;
Hope Tech M4 Brakes front and rear
Stans Arch EX rims - Hope Pro Evo hubs

I would then have to replace these parts with the following from the Trance X;
Shimano XT Brakes
Giant P-TRX1 Wheels (which have dt swiss hubs)

The only thing that is putting me off this is the XTC has SRAM group set, the Trance X has Shimano XT group set. I want to keep the shadow + derailleur on the trance because it has a clutch and helps eliminate the chain slap. But I don't want to end up with a mish match of Shimano/Sram parts on the XTC.

The XTC is used for light XC and road use, the Trance used for strictly trails.

Any advice much appreciated.

·
WillWorkForTrail
4,989 Posts
I'd leave them be just because of the SRAM/Shimano component thing. What's on the Trance is better suited to being there than on the XTC. If you want to upgrade the trance, do it, but do it with parts that belong on a bike that will be used like a Trance should be.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd leave them be just because of the SRAM/Shimano component thing. What's on the Trance is better suited to being there than on the XTC. If you want to upgrade the trance, do it, but do it with parts that belong on a bike that will be used like a Trance should be.
Hello,

Thanks for the advice, I will leave it as is for now.

I prefer the Hope tech brakes over the XT's so will have to save up for a second set.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,887 Posts
That is a great dilemma to have to ponder.

I'd leave the wider wheels on the Trance.

As for the brakes, you may prefer the Hopes, but the XT's are nothing to sneeze at and unless there is an ergonomic consideration, I don't see the XT's being a liability in any situation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts