Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of XTR 8 speed shifter/ brake levers (the first M900 version) and want to run them on my bike with disc brakes. My understanding is that they are cantilever and these brake levers will not work with cable disc brakes.

Is there anyway to convert them or make it possible to use them with Avid discs? I'd like to keep them in one piece.

thanks for any help

·
velocipede technician
8,877 Posts
shmrcksean said:
I have a pair of XTR 8 speed shifter/ brake levers (the first M900 version) and want to run them on my bike with disc brakes. My understanding is that they are cantilever and these brake levers will not work with cable disc brakes.

Is there anyway to convert them or make it possible to use them with Avid discs? I'd like to keep them in one piece.

thanks for any help
use the bb7 road brakes.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,939 Posts
Or track down rockshox disc brakes on ebay (they were improved versions of the amp calipers, but available with I.S. mounts) which work with cantilever brake levers only.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,655 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the advice

All great ideas. I would like to see the pic of that mod. This afternoon I took apart the brake levers and it looks like the leverage pin (?) that is pulled by the lever is in a 1/2" or so slot. I compared this to the Performance Forte brake levers that can be adjusted for cantis and linear by moving the leverage pin between two slots that look about 1/2 inch apart. I'm wondering if there is some sort of bracket or mod I can make to keep the shimano leverage pin in the up position.

Regarding the road BB7s...are they the same as the MTB but designed for canti levers? Are there any major differences?

Thanks again.

·
velocipede technician
8,877 Posts
shmrcksean said:
All great ideas. I would like to see the pic of that mod. This afternoon I took apart the brake levers and it looks like the leverage pin (?) that is pulled by the lever is in a 1/2" or so slot. I compared this to the Performance Forte brake levers that can be adjusted for cantis and linear by moving the leverage pin between two slots that look about 1/2 inch apart. I'm wondering if there is some sort of bracket or mod I can make to keep the shimano leverage pin in the up position.

Regarding the road BB7s...are they the same as the MTB but designed for canti levers? Are there any major differences?

Thanks again.
their designed for road levers that dont pull ass much cable as v-levers,should work fine with your levers.or you could use a Problem Solvers inline cable doubler if you wanted to use the standard bb7's

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
shmrcksean said:

Thanks again.
Here it is:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I forgot what size bit I used to drill it out for the cable, but as long as you dont go too big you'll be fine. I also dremeled away a little bit of the arm just for extra cable clearance, but I dont think it was necessary. The set screw also is not necessary in place of the original bolt, it just looks a little cleaner...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.